Barcoder Reader?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Barcoder Reader?

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hiya,

Has anyone successfully integrated the ability to use B3D with a barcode reader please?

Any help appreciated.

IPete2.

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2005) [#2]
Many barcode readers are keyboard throughput... they are in line with the keyboard and scanning a barcode (the right kind of barcode) is simply like you typed those numbers or letters in on the keyboard itself... Some do not even require drivers because they manage keyboard input. You just plug the keyboard into the scanner and then the scanner into the PS2 slot and zoom... You can scan barcodes.

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#3]
Rook,

Flippin' heck is it really that easy? Thanks man - I do appreciate that info. Any other thoughts still appreciated.

MORE INFO:
I need to identify individual items using a barcode and then store some basic info as the kit it's connected to is used - I'll probably need to send that information to a database somewhere else along the network too.

IPete2.

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2005) [#4]
Now the barcode reader can get picky about the barcode font you use... Look for one called 7of9.ttf I have had good luck with that. Many people tell you that you will have to pay for the barcode font or a program that makes barcodes... don't believe it... keep looking there are a number of barcode fonts out there and with a decent laser printer you will have no probs!

look here:
http://www.idautomation.com/hardware/

Now my comments apply to the older barcode scanner and I have no idea how the wand that plugs in to COM1 or the USB models work... I "think" the USB models act like a second keyboard input in a way. They might have a driver that must be installed but I know nothing about them.

RZ

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#5]
Ta for the info, I have downloaded the demo OCX but ActiveX is a bit outta my league.

I just need to have a series of unique numbers which I can recognise in B3d or Director.

Then I want to store information against this number.

IPete2.