Realistic Explosion - what system?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Realistic Explosion - what system?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#1]
I need to create a realisticly looking explosion FX for a Movie Effect. Is there any free particle system that supports nice looking explosions?

Naughty Alien(Posted 2005) [#2]
..well..I'm using lotus, and its quite good, but you already know about it..apart from Lotus, i am not sure..but if you going for a Movie..did you try to do something with Adobe Aftereffects?? I did many, many bussines with it..of course its compositing tool for movies, not 3D real time..but I'm guessing you searching something for movie as you mention about..

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#3]
Ensure your sprites are top-notch for the particles too.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#4]
Thanks. After Effects isn't for free, that's the problem.

Paulo(Posted 2005) [#5]
Blender no good JFk?? Swine to use tho :/

http://www.blender3d.org/

Here's a fire example, which I guess you could use for a base.. http://www.geocities.com/blengine/fireplace1.html

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#6]
I need it in Blitz Code since it's gonna to be part of a tool. But thanks anyway.

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#7]
jfk,

Re: AfterEffects: The downloadable 30 day trial is free dude!

IPete2.

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#8]
If all else fails look up a game called crimson skies,that had good explosions when the planes blew up, or check out 'particle candy' that looks good but costs $30

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#9]
IPete - well I wasn't clear. AE is very nice, but it costs money and I cannot afford it right now. So I decided to code my own AE in Blitz3D :) Now I need flexible Blitz Code for explosions in AfterBlitz (well, working title). I got some nice things working: opening any number of Avis simultanously, play them frame by frame on a layer base, Save the resulting Avi.

Moving matte painting aka Greenscreening (well, any masking color may be used) with proportional tolerance parameters, as well as Matte Line Blur Functions etc. (Matte Line is the (unwelcome) Line between the forground object and the background, sometimes produced by global illumination trough the green towel).
Further steps on the agenda are:
-special visual FX based on partices etc.
-Editable outline lassos for masks
-Filters
-processing camera motion and rotation data (used for a virtual camera)
-load and play animated meshes
-probably motion tracking.

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#10]
Wow Jfk,

This sounds like its going to be a brilliant tool. Keep us posted.

As for explosions I would have thought that some of the free particle systems that are about - with some tweaking could make practically any explosion type you want. Particle Candy - not free - is excellent at explosions (and loads of other things too) - so it is entirely possible in Blitz.

Good luck with AfterBlitz.

IPete2.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2005) [#11]
..sounds interesting..since AE is something what I was certified for, I will be happy to be one of the beta testers, to see whats compositing power of that tool...anyway, I'll look forward to see whats comming out...sounds good..

Barliesque(Posted 2005) [#12]
Have you had a look at ExGen? It's specifically designed for game makers to make explosion animations...

http://www.binarysun.co.uk/products/exgen.htm

For filters, you ought to have a look at this library...

http://www.blitzcoder.com/cgi-bin/showcase/showcase_showentry.pl?id=zjp05242004195911&comments=no

Sounds like a terrific project you've got going. I'm quite experienced with After Effects. I'd be very interested to see what you come up with. Maybe I can beta test for you at some point?

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#13]
I have Particle Candy - and it is really really really good. Comes with tons of premade emitters, to.

Barliesque(Posted 2005) [#14]
Yeah, I've looked at (have yet to use) all of the particle libraries I could find, and Particle Candy looks the best. I brought up ExGen more as an example of the kind of thing you're trying to do--it also uses a particle engine. Here's a link...

http://www.x-pressive.com/ParticleCandy/

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#15]
Thanks for the input everybody. I have to confess that the tool - as it is right now - includes a number of work-arounds, so currently it doesn't feel very professional.

EG: the Avi Player needs Fullscreen Mode, while the Avi Saving Code requires Windowed Mode for the initialisation (to prevent it freezing in the background, for some unknown reason), so I had to write a little function that would minimize the App, then maximize it again. Looks pretty strange when your app mimimizes and them maximizes again automaticly when you start rendering.

Probably I'll release this tool some way, if I will be able to fix these problems. Right now it's an inhouse solution. You surely can imagine how decent an inhouse tool interface looks :)

Maybe someone can help me to make the MciSendString Commands work with Blitz3Ds Windowed Mode? (See Code Archives, Userlibs: MciSendString). I can't get rid of the ugly Zfighting of the Avi-Canvas and the Blitz3D Frontbuffer. In Fullscreenmode, Mci draws the movie directly to the Frontbuffer, so I can grab it using CopyRect. In windowed Mode it seems to use some kind of overlay, that is not accessible trough blitz. Even if it was accessible, there's still the mentioned zfighting that looks very bad.