SuperGlobals

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/SuperGlobals

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#1]
I have a single question:
I'm currently building a 'giant' FPS, with networking, AI, and arena-style combat, and I've based it around 'modules.' Basically a 'module' in this case is just an include file, filled with Globals, Constants, Types, and Functions related to that category. The 'player' module carries all player-related functions, globals, constants, and types.

I have a main.bb file that includes all the modules. If I create a Global in one of the modules, will I be able to use that Global in the main file, as well as the other modules?

This is sort of like PHP's 'superglobals,' which include "$_POST," "$_REQUEST," and "$_SERVER."

PowerPC603(Posted 2005) [#2]
Yep, you can.

I did this too for my space game.
One 'module' handled the loading of a datafile, which had the entire structure of the universe inside it.
Another 'module' held all type-declarations, another held all Globals and Consts.

BlackJumper(Posted 2005) [#3]
You might want to think about making a type for this...
Type SuperGlobal
     Field FrameRate
     Field blah
     Field foo
     etc.
End Type

Now you can create a single instance of your SuperGlobal in an Intialise() function and assign startup values.

The benefit is that you wont accidentally re-use variable names because you can't have duplicate variable names inside the type and you will be consistent between modules because trying to use a field that is undefined will also produce an error. [typos should therefore be reduced - e.g. calling it SuperGlobal\EnemyWeaponChoice in one module and SuperGlobal\EnemeyWeaponChosen in another will not lead to weird bugs where one of these variables gets created with a zero value !! ]

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#4]
A type would be an interesting idea. Thanks for your help, guys.