IndeED

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/IndeED

Joey(Posted 2005) [#1]
OMG this is the coolest IDE ever. Everytime I wanted something changed the guy did it. Its free and has some awesome features. Give it a chance it has had like 5 updates in the past 2 weeks with features/bugs fixed I asked for.

http://www.michaelhartlef.de/

GfK(Posted 2005) [#2]
Give it a chance it has had like 5 updates in the past 2 weeks with features/bugs fixed I asked for.
That certainly tells a story.... think I'll stick with Protean. :D

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#3]
I agree Joey. Michael managed to completely fix up the BB3d settings for me within a week of me downloading it, and now it's my current preferred IDE.

puki(Posted 2005) [#4]
I wonder how he will deal with my banana-shaped IDE request?

Actually, I am pleased the IDE is proving popular - it may not be the best but it might claw its way to the top.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2005) [#5]
..I still vote for default IDE...

Erroneouss(Posted 2005) [#6]
Go default IDE!!! Wooo!!

Joey(Posted 2005) [#7]
This IDE is cool because the support is very good is what Im saying. And he has some awesome features. Like it will capitalize the stuff like the default IDE and take your code and auto tab for you if you want. He lets you change the color of ALL syntax. Try it and u will like it. Also protean cost 50 bucks this is free. You cant beat free man and it comes with pay-like tech support.

big10p(Posted 2005) [#8]
Well, I tried it... I've never seen so many error dialogs pop-up in such a short space of time. Couldn't compile anything as it kept saying I need to specify a compiler, which I already had done. Oh, well. :/

Naughty Alien(Posted 2005) [#9]
..there is nothing more free than default IDE...and of course, less errors than any IDE..

MikeHart(Posted 2005) [#10]

Joey(Posted 2005) [#11]
uhm weird. I dont see how you got so many errors. have you tried the latest version because when I started I got a ton too but he fixed that. Besides it may be buggy but with help he can make it so much better. oone person can't really debug something very well without other peoples help. So give it a chance is all i ask. For free you wont lose anything.

MikeHart(Posted 2005) [#12]
Joey, there is no need to respond to his kind of posting. You and me know better. :-)

big10p(Posted 2005) [#13]
Mike, why is there no need to respond to my post? I was only telling of my experience of trying your IDE. I didn't make it up to be spiteful. ;)

It simply didn't want to behave on my machine, for whatever reason - maybe because I run win98SE, I dunno.

DJWoodgate(Posted 2005) [#14]
Ah well me too, at least initially, but after specifying the compiler in the drop down box it worked for me. Took me a little while to realise that though because the docs are a bit out of date plus i think my system was a little unstable at the time, read on...

Trying to block comment some code did result in an access violation here at one stage, but to its credit the IDE did not crash and the code remained intact, and anyway that was a one off because it works now, after a reboot. Lets face it, Win98SE can be a nasty piece of work.

I have a few minor niggles. # receives the same highlighting as a string % and $ nothing (I think they should receieve the type highlight?), and only the first variable in a multi-line define like Local var1,var2,var3 etc is picked up on as an identifier for the number list and types if first in such statements are also identified as normal numeric variables.

It may be an idea to allow highlighting schemes to be specified for each compiler.

It does not support function folding, but that has never been something i have worried much about and besides the function list is alpha ordered.

Anyway for something that is free, it is pretty impressive with plenty of additional features, like autocorrect and a decent undo and a built in to do list. Worth a look.

Here is a blitz like highlighting scheme. Save as blitz.ini in the Indeed schemes folder and load it using the syntax styles tab on the editor preferences dialog.
[Editor]
Windowcolor=$00885522
ActiveLinecolor=clNone
BlockSelectcolorBG=$0077AADD
BlockSelectcolorFG=clMaroon
MatchBracketcolorBG=clWhite
MatchBracketcolorFG=clRed
ToDoListEntryColorBG=clBlue
ToDoListEntryColorFG=clWhite
TodoListEntryColorThem=1
EditorFont=Blitz,10,clWindowText,0,0,0,0

[SyntaxColor]
Commentcolor=$0000EEFF
IDcolor=clMaroon
Identifiercolor=clWhite
Internalcolor=clPurple
Keywordcolor=$00FFFFAA
Numbercolor=$00DDFF33
Praeprocessorcolor=clRed
Stringcolor=$0066FF00
Symbolcolor=clWhite
Typecolor=clRed
CommentStyle=0
IDStyle=0
IdentifierStyle=0
InternalStyle=0
KeywordStyle=0
NumberStyle=0
PraeprocessorStyle=0
StringStyle=0
SymbolStyle=0
TypeStyle=0

Joey(Posted 2005) [#15]
yup i got that too lol and the visual blitz scheme. They not much different tho. It not perfect but non are and this is a good look. If you have probs talk to the developer Im sure he can work somethin out ;)

MikeHart(Posted 2005) [#16]
I've never seen so many error dialogs pop-up in such a short space of time. Couldn't compile anything as it kept saying I need to specify a compiler, which I already had done. Oh, well. :/

Mike, why is there no need to respond to my post? I was only telling of my experience of trying your IDE. I didn't make it up to be spiteful. ;)

Maybe if you have posted a more, let's say "bug report" , kind of message, then I wouldn't have thought that you just wanna post rubbish. I'm sorry if I missunderstood you.

So could you please let me know, what/where/how it crashes and please make sure you run the latest version. For Blitzers this is important. The IBasic Pro support runs great for allmost a year now. Without knowing anything specific, just telling "it crashes", I can't fix it.

@DJWoodgate
Thanks for the information, I will look into this. I recognized it before, but found it not so important.

About the manual, YES it is outdated but a lot of stuff is still valid. About the folding, man you all overrate this. :-) But I'm in the process off checking a new syntax highlighter. And that will support folding for everything. Functions, Regions, Comments, your pans, whatever. Will take a while because I wanna redesign IndeED too so adding stuff will be easier but it will be worth it.

So suggestions are allways welcome.

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#17]
I've never used code folding before. I feel left out.

Speaking of schemes, here is the best one ever. (Mine).
[Editor]
Windowcolor=clWhite
ActiveLinecolor=clNone
BlockSelectcolorBG=clBlue
BlockSelectcolorFG=clWhite
MatchBracketcolorBG=clBlue
MatchBracketcolorFG=clRed
ToDoListEntryColorBG=clBlue
ToDoListEntryColorFG=clWhite
TodoListEntryColorThem=1
EditorFont=Blitz,8,clWindowText,0,0,0,0
[SyntaxColor]
Commentcolor=$000000A8
IDcolor=clMaroon
Identifiercolor=clBlack
Internalcolor=clNavy
Keywordcolor=$00A00000
Numbercolor=$00FF8000
Praeprocessorcolor=clRed
Stringcolor=clGreen
Symbolcolor=clNavy
Typecolor=clRed
CommentStyle=0
IDStyle=0
IdentifierStyle=0
InternalStyle=0
KeywordStyle=0
NumberStyle=0
PraeprocessorStyle=0
StringStyle=0
SymbolStyle=0
TypeStyle=0

bedhouin(Posted 2005) [#18]
I had the same problem as big10p:

a) Couldn't get it to link to the Blitz3D compiler even though I set it in the preferences, and it never appeared in the drop down

b) At one point I tried opening a .bb file and got a succession of error windows, starting with a "Memory Access Violation" error. It didn't crash it just didn't load the file. Strange seeing as I tried again and it worked.

c) I generally prefer my software to feel more professional so, "Would you like to quit?" would be preferable to, "Do you wanna quit?". But that's just me being picky... ;)

I'm not too comfortable with Protean, so keep at it Mike and see if you can make a better IDE

Joey(Posted 2005) [#19]
Im curious. Are you guys that are having the B3d compiler issues linking it to the Blitz3d Directory or are u linking to the compiler. To work correctly it should be just the directory EX. C:\program files\Blitz3d NOT C:\program files\Blitz3d\compiler\compiler.exe. That wont be the exact folder/file names becuz im not sure what they are beings im away from my pc atm but thats the idea.

Wiebo(Posted 2005) [#20]
[quote] Give it a chance it has had like 5 updates in the past 2 weeks with features/bugs fixed I asked for. [quote]
You asked for bugs? You weirdo. :)

MikeHart(Posted 2005) [#21]
You asked for bugs? You weirdo. :)

LOL, good one.
Mike and see if you can make a better IDE

What is so much better in Protean?
I had the same problem as big10p:

Which version of IndeED was it? What OS are you running?

Joey(Posted 2005) [#22]
i said I asked for features/bugs fixed. Meaning I asked for new features and bugs to be fixed. Read carefull lol :) If I said I asked for features/bugs then ya it would be weird.

bedhouin(Posted 2005) [#23]
@Joey
I've tried pointing it to "Blitz3D/" and "Blitz3D/bin/" the dialog only lets you recurse to a directory not to a file.

@Mike
I got Protean to work, that's what makes it better so far ;)

But in general as an IDE I'm not hopping up and down over Protean. It's better than the standard IDE (which wasn't great to start with).

I'm running IndeEd 1.15b on XP SP2. Blitz Linker v1.64, Runtime v1.9.

If it helps, the path to Blitz3D is "E:\Programs\Dev\Blitz3D\"

The path to IndeEd is "E:\Programs\Dev\IndeEd\"

MikeHart(Posted 2005) [#24]
1.16 is up.

http://www.michaelhartlef.de

@Bedhouin
If you want to try again then please
delete the IndeED.ini file before you run the new version. I tried to implement an automatic way of finding your Blitz installation. It trys to read the registry for that. Also go to the compiler settings after that and check ReadAtNextStart to extract the keywords again. Don't forget to restart IndeED after that.

If it still doesn't work...
1) I will jump from a bridge
2) I want you to check WriteLogFile in the settings
3) Restart IndeED
4) Do what you tried till it doens't work
5) Exit IndeED
6) Send me your startup.log file to
contact@...

I got Protean to work, that's what makes it better so far ;)

See, and I couldn't get Protean to find Blitz3D on my system. But I only tried the demo version. :-)

I'm running IndeEd 1.15b on XP SP2. Blitz Linker v1.64, Runtime v1.9.

Where the hell did you got 1.15b from? Only a few got it, was kinda inofficial. :-)

Anyway, does anyone know the registry paths/identifiers to look up the Blitz+ and BlitzBasic paths?

MikeHart(Posted 2005) [#25]
@Bedhouin
"E:\Programs\Dev\Blitz3D\"

Did IndeED added the last slash to the path or did you?

Joey(Posted 2005) [#26]
wtf is 1.15b I wanted it til 1.16 came lol. (as of now). Why did only a few people get it. Im confuzed now.

MikeHart(Posted 2005) [#27]
I think I had emailed you Joey.

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#28]
Yay :)

Joey(Posted 2005) [#29]
And it is awesome. You guys notice that blitz3d like syntax where it capitalizes how blitz3d does. Ya that was me lol. Im jp but thx Mike.

bedhouin(Posted 2005) [#30]
Hi Mike,

I'm away for the weekend, and haven't got Blitz set up on this laptop. But I'll try what you suggested when I get back to my machine at home.

1.15b - I downloaded it from your website!

Jay Kyburz(Posted 2005) [#31]
Hey Michael,

I installed IndeEd this evening and was really impressed.

Would you be intrested in some feedback? Personal qurks etc..

Jay Kyburz

MikeHart(Posted 2005) [#32]
Thanks Hakea, IndeED has a lot of work under his belt. It was ment to be a IBASIC PRO only IDE but after a few users asked for support of the Blitz languages I tried to support them too.

I'm allways interested in feedback but I can't promise that it will lead to changes. IndeED serves more than just the blitz languages and so sometimes how it works is a compromise or lead by the languages it supported first.

But anyway, let me hear, and I will see what I can do.

Jay Kyburz(Posted 2005) [#33]
One thing I couldn't work out how to do was to set one file in the project as the "main" file.When building it would save all changed files and build this main file. Can you do that?

I really miss function folding. I don't think I could go back to an IDE without it. I use Visual Blitz currently.

The spelling checker is a cool idea for and IDE, I wonder if you could check only comments or only selected sections?

I think I noticed the code formatting functions don't undo.

Some UI notes.

I think your UI would be much neater and cleaner if you removed the title, grouping box, and too small close button on the message and info windows. I don't think they are really necessary and are cluttering the UI a little.

I would also personally prefer if these dialogs were formatted in the same way as the main window. (ie same font, colors etc)

hmm. Here is a mock up. Hope you don't mind.

MikeHart(Posted 2005) [#34]
Hi Hakea,

Thanks for your suggestions.

One thing I couldn't work out how to do was to set one file in the project as the "main" file.When building it would save all changed files and build this main file. Can you do that?

This could be done. Right now the project support of IndeED for Blitz is more like a file collection.
About saving changed files: I see a conflicht here between projects and single files. With a single file you would liek to build but not save (not implemented for Blitz right now). For projects you would need to do so. Have to think about it.

I really miss function folding. I don't think I could go back to an IDE without it. I use Visual Blitz currently.

IndeED is developed with Delphi and the syntax component doesn't support folding. I'm looking right now into a new component (not scintilla). So they is a chance that folding will come to IndeED one day.

The spelling checker is a cool idea for and IDE, I wonder if you could check only comments or only selected sections?

Right now it checks only strings. Maybe I can find a way so you could choose what to check.

I think I noticed the code formatting functions don't undo.

Thanks for that hint. Maybe the last update broke this. I will look into this. I noticed also myself that the colorpicker doesn't insert since the last update.

Some UI notes.

I think your UI would be much neater and cleaner if you removed the title, grouping box, and too small close button on the message and info windows. I don't think they are really necessary and are cluttering the UI a little.

When you double click on the header of the grouping box, it switches to the other side. I personally use the little close buttons all the time and it was requested before. Anyway, a different look and layout will come in the future with floatable toolbars and boxes. So this will be changed anyway.

I would also personally prefer if these dialogs were formatted in the same way as the main window. (ie same font, colors etc)

I will look into this.

hmm. Here is a mock up. Hope you don't mind.

Never :-)

Jay Kyburz(Posted 2005) [#35]
great.. i'll keep my eye out for future versions!

MikeHart(Posted 2005) [#36]
Hi,

for the few how use IndeED. I have a new support forum at

http://forum.michaelhartlef.de

I missed the old forum to much and at Tibi the IndeED section was not quite obvious to find.

There is alos a new update comming very soon.

Cheers
Michael