Does Blitz support steering wheels?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Does Blitz support steering wheels?

PsychicParrot(Posted 2005) [#1]
I'm working on a game that would really benefit from being built in Blitz3d, but it needs to support a steering wheel and pedals! .. is this possible with Blitz3d??

Thanks!

Rottbott(Posted 2005) [#2]
If the correct drivers are installed, then yes, any device ought to work.

PsychicParrot(Posted 2005) [#3]
I don't actually have a steering wheel yet (since I don't want to go out and spend £50 on a force feedback mega wheel for the project before I even know it'll work) so I have to ask if anyone has actually managed to get a steering wheel working in Blitz?

If so I imagine that the input is pretty much the same as an analogue joystick, right?

I know I would have to get a feedback plugin, but it's just the joystick and pedals I'm interested in finding out about..

Thanks for the reply, Rottbott :)

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#4]
PsychicParrot

YES! and it does it very well - have a look:

www.smartscreenuk.com/DCP_0609s.jpg

This is a driver sim we did a couple of years ago, we used the PS2 compatible steering wheel from Logitech, the blue one, with Force Feedback! Lovely and great controller too - with a pair of pedals.

It is USB (obviously) and price is about £50 currently. Drivers and wheel are available directly from the logitech website.

IPete2.

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#5]
I've got my Logitech ff wheel working just fine with Blitz - from Blitz's point of view the wheel appears as just another joysitck, with left and right as usual, and brake and accel are combined on the other axis to produce + and - up and down.

PsychicParrot(Posted 2005) [#6]
EXCELLENT! Thanks for your replies, people .. that's the one I was looking at - the Logitech ff.

IPete2 - thanks for the pic .. that looks really interesting, since it's similar to the project I'm putting together. It's currently being built with Macromedia Director but I would love to switch over to Blitz for the extra 3d power. It isn't my call at the end of the day, so I'll just have to pitch it and wait :)

Cheers again,
Parrot.

Pongo(Posted 2005) [#7]
One other thing,... not all wheels are treated the same way. I know some use the X Axis for steering and the Y for throttle/brake, but others use Z axis for Throttle (I think this is maybe the X axis on stick 2) Anyways,... just be aware that there may be a few slight variations out there.

Doiron(Posted 2005) [#8]
This is a driver sim we did a couple of years ago, we used the PS2 compatible steering wheel from Logitech, the blue one, with Force Feedback! Lovely and great controller too - with a pair of pedals.

I've got my Logitech ff wheel working just fine with Blitz

As far as I know Blitz3D doesn't support force feedback (without doubt the most important feature on a steering wheel... We should buy a force feedback wheel for Mark Sibly and wait for a patch ;) ). Did you guys use an external DLL, or just avoided FF support? (someone did a shareware one some months ago, but wasn't very responsive with my Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Wheel)

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#9]
Doiron,

When I said 'with Forcefeedback' that's exactly what I meant. :) Shake rattle and roll!!! :)

If the user drives into another vehicle, or the central reservation or a barrier or a lampost, the whole thing rattles and shakes for about 2 seconds, with a screeching brake and impact sound the total effect is very, very effective. Most people using the sim for the first time laugh because it catches them by surprise and they love it.

IPete2.

PS Oh I just realised what you really meant by your question - yes - you need the force feedback dll from Pepsi.

KuRiX(Posted 2005) [#10]
There is a blitz3d dll from Twinno Software for Blitz3d ffb support!. I have bought my license for 10$. :D