AppleBasic Programming

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/AppleBasic Programming

n8r2k(Posted 2005) [#1]
Does anyone remember applebasic programming? Just for fun can anyone help me figure out how to make blitz act like it (however remotely) I think I have any idea to do the line number:

.L10: Cls
.L20: Print "hi"
.L30: Goto L10

This of course is the infamous endless loop. You have to add L to the line number.

what i need help with is the graphics and some other small things I think. It should be easy since Blitz is a BASIC language.

Kuron(Posted 2005) [#2]
Does anyone remember applebasic programming?

Thanks for reminding me how old I really am. I started programming with AppleBASIC in 1979, when I was 10 years old ;c)

Erroneouss(Posted 2005) [#3]
EDIT: Oops

Realm Master(Posted 2005) [#4]
We're Nerds?!?!
Great...
oh well... programming is fun (and hard...)
Sorry if i sound stupid, but Apple Basic is what?
A prelude to Blitz, or just another Basic Language.
Note: If you want to use languages for the Mac, get Blitz Max, AND TELL ME IF ITS EASY! I have a mac, and a windows and I am wondering if i want to switch to BMax...

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2005) [#5]
Chipmunk Basic... Atari Basic... BASICA... MOnkey Wrench... Done em all... Blitz is easier Nater... Just be blitz and take the progs you have and translate them to B3D... :)
-RZ

n8r2k(Posted 2005) [#6]
I am a teenager and i learned to program on apple at my school. They had like 7 or 8 apples.

WolRon(Posted 2005) [#7]
APPLE BASIC used line numbers. Just remove the line numbers that aren't necessary and replace the line numbers that are necessary with labels (.examplelabel).

The rest should be pretty compatible unless you are using sounds/graphics. For those, it's best to rewrite them in Blitz or create a function to handle the command.

n8r2k(Posted 2005) [#8]
Thats what i am saying. I was wondering if anyone new how to make blitz act like AppleBasic using GR and HGR. I don't remember the color codes. Sounds are gonna be imossible unless i get all the possible sounds that the old apples could make. I have already learned how to do the line numbers:
.L10: Print 'hi'

basically I would like to make it be able to list the source code like AppleBasic. So in a way, It would be AppleBasic within a program.

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2005) [#9]
You know... and I don't mean this as a flame... n8r2k dances to his own drummer...

WolRon(Posted 2005) [#10]
I was wondering if anyone new how to make blitz act like AppleBasic using GR and HGR

As I already stated:
it's best to rewrite them in Blitz or create a function to handle the command.

Function GR()
  Graphics 320, 200
End Function

Function HGR()
  Graphics 640, 400
End Function
BTW, I don't remember the actual resolutions of GR and HGR (but I think it was 40x25 and 320x200)

Sounds are actually probably easier than you think. I think all the Apple could actually do was perform a series of 'beeps' or tones at different frequencies. This is easy to do in Blitz. Create a sound that is just a short (say) 4KHz tone. Then use the SoundPitch or ChannelPitch commands to raise or lower the pitch in order to play all of the other tones.

n8r2k(Posted 2005) [#11]
Thanks WolRon. Yeah i dont remember the resolutions either but i think i can find out.