RPG

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/RPG

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#1]
I'm thinking about making an RPG. I'm just trying to work out how it will work. A simple RPG would be simple to plan (hence the name). But this is no normal RPG. This is a weird RPG-RTS thingamabobber.

Basically you start out as a simple villager, in the island of (no name yet). You build a house, then go to the marketplace. By buying and selling things, you become more rich. Then you build a small shop. Then you can progress, etc. etc.

The entire goal of the game is to rule the entire island, and all the small islands surrounding it. It will be somewhat like the MMORPG Runescape, but not exactly. It won't be online (my team, for some reason, says it will be worse), but it will follow the basic design of an RPG, except for the fact that you can build buildings and arrange villages, and soon build up a giant kingdom that will someday rule the island.

Right now I'm just looking for ideas...it would be great if I could get some ideas from the people who know games the best - the people who make them.

Any suggestions and ideas are welcome.

Shambler(Posted 2005) [#2]
An interesting idea, sort of a MMORPG without the MMO bit =)

A few brainstorming ideas...

Some areas/islands are inaccessible until you complete certain tasks.
Different types of house from a simple wooden hut up to a castle since you are going to rule the islands.
Choose the path of your character, wizard/warrior etc., the game plays differently depending on your chosen class.
NPC characters interact with each other and you can influence them, depending on your leadership qualities, to do your bidding.
The ability to be evil or good, again the game plays differently depending on your choice...e.g. the islanders might decide you need to be dispatched and form a lynching party to come and kill you ;)
1st person and overhead camera views.
Expansion packs which can add new islands/enemies and tasks.

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#3]
Great ideas!

Also, I might include that you can win by conquering the island by force...or favor. If you become a warlord, most likely you'll win by force. If you become a monk, then you would win by favor.

I was also thinking about "quests," although they might get too complicated. What do you guys think?

altitudems(Posted 2005) [#4]
In a strange way, this reminds me of Harvest Moon.

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2005) [#5]
I think a random quest tree engine would be interesting but VERY difficult to code unless you initiated it all in an INI file instance...

Good luck to you and if you need help (or hinderance) just ask... I am much better with the latter! : )
-RZ

Sir Gak(Posted 2005) [#6]
RPGs thrive on battles. You could have raiding parties land on the island to seize a village or two, and you have to go kick their butts and reclaim your village(s). You could have a regular income from all villages you possess, so if you lose some villages to raiding parties, it not only impedes your ruling the whole island, but hurts your bottom line income.

grindalf(Posted 2005) [#7]
you could also have progress made easyer or harder depending on what shops you make weapon shops beter weapons item shops more items maybe even ports and airship docks for beter access to other islands and wizard guilds to teach your mages better magic. also i dont know wether itll help but check out the rpg dark cloud on ps2 maybe itll give some you some ideas as you kind of build towns in that one