Normal Mapping in blitz

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Normal Mapping in blitz

Drey(Posted 2005) [#1]
Well, i've been messing around with the texture and entity blends and i've been getting some intersting results.

Now the problem i've been having with dot 3 is that it doesn't blend with the light color. The only time Dot 3 even works is if the DOt 3 texture is in index 0

EntityTexture Mesh, TexNomral , 0, 0

So, i'm guessing, the only texture that gets lighting calcs is the texture in 0. Which makes sense because texture 0 blends with the Mesh and the mesh has the lighting i guess.

I don't have problem getting the texture to show on top of the normal map. My problem is getting the color of the light on the mesh.

Any help? thanks

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#2]
The light color? To change the light direction, your altering the vertex colors of the model or the entitycolor. Is that what you mean?

Drey(Posted 2005) [#3]
NOpe, i'm talking about the using native DX lights to light my entity. When u have blue lights..that hit a white ship, the ship looks blue. Well, what i'm saying is, no matter what so far, the normal map is only returning a gray scale when it does it's lightiing effect. The light shifts in all on the texture, but there's no color change compared to the lights color.

I'm really trying to avoid lengthly rounties like coloring the brush and vertexs and such.

basicly, normal map changes shading but not coloring according to the light acting on it.

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#4]
Nah, it won't change colouring. If you put a colour texture below the normal map, it should lighten/darken the texture, but dx light's won't change the normal map.