Blitz 3D on older video cards

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Blitz 3D on older video cards

Strider Centaur(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi all, Im working on making a game that should run 3D on systems with old CPUs like 300Mhz PII or K6 processors, in this instance I want it to work with cards dating back to 1998, like Rage Pro and Extreme.

THe 3D models are extreamly low polly and all my modeling tools perform fine on these old machines, so I can rotate and scale them in real time.

The problem I having is that Blitz3D throughs a error saying it can't create a 3D sceene.

I dont fully understand why this should be the case, all the systems are passing DXdiag and show support for Directx 8.1 is working.

Further more, I can access them using other languages in 3D mode, and can even run games like Quake II on them. So anyone have any advise?

Btw, I know its not my code, It happens in all Blitz3D based applications.

JKP(Posted 2005) [#2]
You're not trying to use windowed mode are you? Colour depth can also be an issue.

Have you tried using the most compatible video mode, i.e.

Graphics3D 640,480,16,1

Strider Centaur(Posted 2005) [#3]
That was the problem, resolution and color depth were too high.

Thanks

Nmuta(Posted 2005) [#4]
By the way, Blitz is the best tool to do this type of project in, provided software rendrering is not needed. Many of the cards in your target time period have 4MB Video memory, and Blitz does well even on those machines, usually, especially with the specifications you mentioned (low poly, low res, etc.)