Application lock up.. any ideas?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Application lock up.. any ideas?

Jay Kyburz(Posted 2005) [#1]
This morning my app started locking up when returning to a function for the third time. I can't debug it as the debugger is locking up as well. My system processor drops to 0, the game is doing nothing. My ram in also not climbing out of control and seems steady.

I assume it must be a memory allocation problem but if the symptoms sound familiar I'd appreciate any suggestions.

One of the things i do regularly in my app, is to create types that contain images and sounds, and rather than freeing individual images and sounds simply delete the instance of the type. Do you guys do this? are there potential problems here?

big10p(Posted 2005) [#2]
You need to manually free all resources stored in the type before deleting it. Simply deleting the type won't automatically do this for you - this is your job as the programmer. :)

Jay Kyburz(Posted 2005) [#3]
hmm i found that for images and sounds it works (I'll set up a test). My problem was timers. After manually freeing all timers each iteration the problem is fixed.

Jay Kyburz(Posted 2005) [#4]
my test shows your right,damn. I had done a test ages ago but i mustn't have been paying attention.