Lighting

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Lighting

Drey(Posted 2005) [#1]
I'm in the process of really working on the lighting in my engine. I'm wondering how i can make parts of textures not effected by light at all. Like a full bright effect.

something like the building lights in this picture

The buildings are lit but the textures aren't affected by the shadowing of the polygon.

Soda machines in this one

I'm trying to save on sufaces, so i'm looking for a texturing technique.

Is it a blend technique.

Thanks for the help

Psionic(Posted 2005) [#2]
EntityFX entity,fx

Parameters:

entity - entity handle

fx -
1: full-bright
2: use vertex colors instead of brush color
4: flatshaded
8: disable fog

Description:

Sets miscellaneous effects for an entity.
Flags can be added to combine two or more effects. For example, specifying a flag of 3 (1+2) will result in a full-bright and vertex-coloured brush.

??

Kryzon(Posted 2005) [#3]
You can use the LightMesh command to simulate a light only in the level mesh, and not in your bright objects.

Drey(Posted 2005) [#4]
well, i'm thankful for the replies, but that wasn't the problem. You see, Full-bright makes the polygons themselves full bright. I want to have certain parts of the texture to under go the normal lighting rountie. And say have a "bright" map(grayscale for example) of how much the normal lighting should effect the coloration of the texture. In the pictures, i only showed Static objects, but the same concept should work with Dynamic Objects. Like have a animated mesh. Walking through lights over head(using HARDWARE light processes) and have say a LED part of her gun not get effected by the lighting. It always shines bright.

http://blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=1246

Check out that same lighitng demo to get the idea on how the light system works.

using software lighting is much too slow.

thanks for the help guys, and future thanks to any replies

Drey(Posted 2005) [#5]
Ok, i got the effect, using textureblend add, i can keep a textures full bright as long as it isn't black..exactly what i wanted.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#6]
nice screens BTW.

Drey(Posted 2005) [#7]
thank you sir :-P

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2005) [#8]
I agree... graphics look fan - freaking - tastic!!!!! Just a thought... could you use Giles or one of the other lightmappers out there? I haven't really played with them yet and don't know if they would add a layer of programming on to your game or no...

-RZ

Drey(Posted 2005) [#9]
eh, might as well, this is a screen from some time ago before, like when i first started using blitz. i wanted to show the team what blitz could give us in a short amount of time. I was just testing terrain out and flying out and such.

In a few months, u'll show off screens of the new rendering system. Just about to get lighitng down pack :-D.

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#10]
Pretty :)
You should see my first environment.

... Actually, no you shouldn't.

Drey(Posted 2005) [#11]
haha, maybe that'll be a good post. Show off your first blitz works