kotor sword fights

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/kotor sword fights

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hwo do they get the swords to hit each other in kotor?

1.animation that is very well co-ordinated?
2.moving the swords and arms in code?
3.or a combination?

NewtSoup(Posted 2005) [#2]
Disclaimer:
This explanation is completely made up, I have not played Kotor 2 and only plaued Kotor1 for an hour before I uninstalled it and sold it on (hated hated HATED the control system totally counter intuitive) Although it is an educated guess using what I know and the fact that the swords hit each other.

Possible explanation:

Assumption 1:
the game is using some sort of ragdoll physics (possibly a verlet system)

Assumption 2: there are predifined outcomes to a combat round such as
BlockHighAttack
BlockMidAttack
BlockLowAttack

Ill only mention the blocks as we are talking about sabres hiting each other.

Assumption 3 - combat is automated with hotkeys for special attacks (or similar) but automated is the important thing.

Combat begins - check the proximity of the duelists to make sure they are close enough for the sabers to hit each other in the event of a block without having to move the character or over stretch arms and end up in an odd position
and adjust if necessary. (animate a step in/out/side etc)

assuming the attack was a high attack, a downward swing to the head for instance. move the defendants lightsaber to the block position for this kind of attack, move the attackers lightsaber such that blade of the saber is touching the blade of the other saber.

If theres a verlet system involved then the constraints on the model's arms for both combatants will take care of the body position.

but like I said I dont know for certain :/ sorry

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#3]
I love the Kotor games, thought the controls were great on the Xbox, maybe thats your problem there. think the first one was the one RPG that stood out for me since Vampire the masquarade (first one).

As for the technique used I can't say, but it sure looks good :)

NewtSoup(Posted 2005) [#4]
What I could never get the hang of was not having free look on the mouse :) cant remember if moving the mouse forward moved your char forward. I think it did. I can see how it would be better on the xbox.. rotate right/left and forward backward on the left analog stick or d-pad.. thats fairly intuitive on a pad.. but quake set the standard for mouse and keyboard so long ago now its ingrained.
I am told Kotor2 is far better free look on the mouse and movement on the keys, I could probably get into that. :)

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#5]
I am told Kotor2 is far better free look on the mouse and movement on the keys, I could probably get into that. :)

KOTOR1 was exactly the same. You could use one of two control systems and the in-game tutorial let you experience both before picking which one you wanted.

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#6]
thanks for the attempt, it seem they just kept adjusting it for hours and hours to get it right, no magic formula.

If you had a program that could animate 2 characters simultaneously and save the results seperately that could help.

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2005) [#7]
Um... make the swords entitys? I have never played kotor but if you wanted to have them collide etc. then make them entitys.
-RZ

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#8]
I'd assume that the animatons were motion captured, so that the times matched perfectly between both combatants in a sequence.

You could emulate this by having a sequence ( well one for each combatant ) which ends with the blades reaching the collision point. You could then use SetAnimTime to animate each player in such a way that they reach the end of the sequence at exactly the same time. Just be careful of the bug with SetAnimTime and ExtractAnimSeq that I posted about in the bug reports forum. Otherwise, it should work, I think.

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#9]
Yeah, you'd have standard anims for ATTACK, GET HIT, DEFEND for each of a number of attack types (i.e.) HIGH SWIPE, UPPERCUT, SPINNING CHOP, LOW STAB, MID SLICE etc.

quite a lot of anim sequences, but each character would need a full set.

Then, depending on the actions chosen by each character, the correct sequences can be used in conjunction.