Help needed please.

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Help needed please.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi people, I've been working on a prototype for our new game for a couple of weeks now and I've hit a brick wall. I can go no further with the Development as set out in the design document because the game seems to lack that special something. And I'm stumped, maybe you nice people out there can give me a few inspirational ideas :).

http://www.indiepath.com/tim/sjnk01.zip

RUN THE GAME BY LAUNCHING : Launcher.exe

The idea of the game is to fly through space collecting "Junk" with your electromagnet. The electromagnet is attached to your craft with some kind of "Space Bungie". The aim is to collect the junk and deposit it at the various Dropzones which are situated throughout the gamespace.

Your job is make difficult by :-
1) Other Stationary Magnets which attract Junk but repel your magnet.
2) Buzzers which fly at your magnet attempting to repel the junk you have collected. If they hit your magnet they cause it's strength to decrease.

To collect Junk you need to fly near to it.
To deposit junk you need to activate the DropZones (SPACEBAR) this will deactivate your electomagnet and the junk will be drawn into the DropZone. The Dropzone has limited magnetic strength so you need to be quite close.
Press SPACEBAR again to activate your Electromagnet.

You will be able to progress through the game by amassing wealth, this allows you to upgrade you ship in order to collect more junk etc... At the end of each level you will be able to spend your credits on such upgrades.

Your ship will always point towards the on-screen crosshair. To move you press MouseButton2 and you will thrust in the direction you are pointing.

Oh and "Z" Drops a Magnetic Anomoly which attracts junk from far afield - useful for getting junk away from very strong magnets.

So thats where I am at.... Please make comments - I need your input.

Thanks.

Tim.

RiverRatt(Posted 2005) [#2]
Idea 1
It's a tough and competitve universe, other junk collecters want yer junk and they will do anything to get it and scrap yer ship while there at it, so scrap them before they scrap you.

Idea 2
Have giant astroids that have deposits of metal in them. If the player shoots it the metal is released but watch out for the molten rock fragments they will do damage to your ship. Also if you do not shoot the rock and free the metal from the rock, while your magnet is active the rock will destroy your magnet, and if you don,t have money for another one, yer outa buisness.

Idea 3
Build from idea 1. Rather than have a dropzone have a storage magnet. The player brings junk to it like it is now but at some point you must hall the entire load to a space station, but you must navagate a astoid belt and fight off other ships to get there. Also you must keep your storage powered up by attracting urainium or else your storage shields will fail and other ships will steal your bounty!

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2005) [#3]
RiverRatt has it... I am not even gonna try! :)
-RZ

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#4]
Thank you to everybody for thier feedback, this download has now been removed.