Optimum size for meshes?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Optimum size for meshes?

D4NM4N(Posted 2005) [#1]
i was thinking(grind crunch grind crunch) what is the optimum scale factor for levels and models? take a quake style game with the character (for a reference) as 1*2*1 blitz basic single units? Is it more efficient to rendering to scale everything up or not?

Shambler(Posted 2005) [#2]
I tend to use a scale that is handled well in the modelling package I use which means walls are 32*32*32 units in my dungeon master type project and the player is 24 units high.

big10p(Posted 2005) [#3]
Is your player a Giant? :P

Shambler(Posted 2005) [#4]
Doh! there's a plot leak if ever I saw one!

Not! ;)

fall_x(Posted 2005) [#5]
I use 1 unit = 1 meter, which was recommended to me by some people on this forum.

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#6]
I guess it would depend a lot on the LOD or polycount of your models. Providing the scale is consistent, it shouldn't make a difference at all as Blitz-Units are completely arbitrary.

Shifty Geezer(Posted 2005) [#7]
Scaling's entirely relative. A base unit of 0.001, 1.0, or 10000, makes no difference to performance.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#8]
Too small or high scales may result in floaing point inaccuracy in extreme situations.

I try to use 1 unit= 1 meter, but usually I have to correct things a bit, like when the doors are too small, I scale the level up by the factor of 2 or so.

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#9]
Its ridiculous talking of Blitz-Units = metres etc.

My game may be about microbes where one Blitz unit may be effectively = 2.763 microns or something.

Someone else's game may be set in space where a standard, non-scaled, primitive sphere represents a planet thousands of miles in diameter.

UNITS are arbitrary. The important thing to remember is to beware of the size of steps of movement and the range of the camera with relation to the size and spacing of objects within your world. This way, floating point errors and z-buffer problems can be avoided.

ideally, some ratios to use as guidelines for 'safe' performance:

Camera Range 1 -> 1000
Mesh Size 1 - 20
Movement Step Size 0.1 - 10
Mesh Positioning 0.1 - 1000

fall_x(Posted 2005) [#10]
Its ridiculous talking of Blitz-Units = metres etc.
In some cases, yes. But most of the time, it is still a very good convention, because you can easily relate to it. If I want to place two persons with a certain distance them, I don't want to think "ooh I want about 3.5 meters between them, so with my scaling system, I have to multiply that with 32, ..." or "this building will be 8 meters high, so that's 256 units" or whatever... it's easier just placing them 3.5 units away from eachother, and making the building 8 units high, isn't it?