Reducing Mipmapping

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Reducing Mipmapping

Dock(Posted 2005) [#1]
Reducing mipmapping.

Is there any easy way to reduce mipmapping with Blitz 3D, or at least reduce it for certain objects? The mipmapping levels are much too high, so my character's face appears to be a blur from the normal camera distance. I've tried increasing the resolution of the face texture, but this doesn't help. I don't want to turn off mipmapping entirely, as this doesn't look good either, but it is bad that my characters only look half decent when partially zoomed in.

So, are there any practical workarounds for this problem?

Would it help if I changed the scale of my game? Right now I'm using 1 unit as 1 Metre, so if I enlarged everything by 10x, would it cope better?

Any input on this topic would be appreciated.

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#2]
Texture/Brush Flag 8 is for mipmapping.

Dock(Posted 2005) [#3]
Malice, I know how to turn mipmapping on and off with texturefilter 8. Is there way to <i>reduce</i> its effect? That is what I was asking.

Bouncer(Posted 2005) [#4]
no.

Dock(Posted 2005) [#5]
If I made the problem area (in this case the face) occupy a larger percentage of the texture, would it help? How exactly is the mip-map decided? Is it relative to texel size, or size on the screen, or what? Also, will the resolution of my screen make a difference to the clarity, or is this not any concern?

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#6]
I dunno exactly how mipmapping is calculated by Blitz or DirectX. I dont think resolution would make much difference, unless you are chanign by a factor of 4 or something because somehow textures always seem to be scaled to the same degree when rendered. You *could* try using a larger texture, hopefully this will be more detailed.

To use the texture flags, when you Load a texture, add the numbers for the flags you DO want, and ignore those you dont want.

See if the following makes a difference:

Texture=LoadTexture("Texture",1)

then replace with

Texture=LoadTexture("Texture",9)

Give it a try. Unfortunately, I dont think it's possibly to affect the degree of mipmapping.

Dock(Posted 2005) [#7]
Changing the flags really didn't effect much at all, as it was only the mipping that was a problem. I decided to use the userlib by Tom Speed to pull it off though.

www.blitzbasic.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=40792
Not ideal but it does the job. :)

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#8]
Glad ya got it sorted, sorry I couldnt help more!