Dynamic Bones

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Dynamic Bones

KuRiX(Posted 2005) [#1]
I can't find the answer for this question. Can i make a bones model in 3dsmax so that when i export to b3d i can in Blitz3D move the bones so the mesh deforms dynamically, or the bones support is only for preanimated mesh deformation?.

Thanks in Advance.
Cheers, KuRi.

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#2]
Yes. Just use FindChild with the name you gave the bones. Do what they want with them, position, rotate, whatever. They're just entities.

ICECAP(Posted 2005) [#3]
Does that then use IK? Or is it just moving one bone on its own?

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#4]
I'd be 100% certain that's it's FK - IK would mean that Blitz3D would calculate that and it doesn't, it just plays animations... so it's FK. Manipulating bones directly is good for root handling stuff like rotating the whole upper torso or something like that but for anything else it's too painful because you'd have to code IK routines first and those are impossible to do basically (within reasonable timeframe and you'd have to be expert on coding and animation).

KuRiX(Posted 2005) [#5]
What are the differences between ik and fk (inverse and forward keys?)?. What method does Blitz3D use?.

And so, the answer of my first question in the first post is NO?.

Thanks...

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#6]
IK = Inverse kinematics, FK = forward kinematics

Let's take an arm animation for example, from shoulder to fingers, like making a "salute" kind of animation.

FK: as the name suggests you'd have to first animate the shoulder joint, then elbow, then wrist... all manually.

IK: You'll move the hand to the end position and IK calc's backwards where the other joints up to the shoulder should be (how good this looks depends your joint settings etc).

So basically IK is easier for the animator, but needs careful joint tweaking and some math from the animating program. And how this is all is related to Blitz3D? It isn't. Blitz3D doesn't care how the animation was made originally, it just plays the animation data (keyframes), doesn't do any IK/FK calc's as such (it DOES keyframe "tweening" from one keyframe to another though).