Animated meshes pickable?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Animated meshes pickable?

Erroneouss(Posted 2005) [#1]
Are animated meshes pickable?

For some reason, I am having trouble with getting my
animated .md2 enemy mesh in my Ramparts/Defend the Castle 3D Remake to be pickable. It doesn't work. I will need
to be able to pick a soldier and throw him up in the air. I'll probably use ODE for that. Or Tokamak.

I just need to know if animated .md2's are pickable.
Thanks.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#2]
I don't use MD2 because you cannot access it's Vertices etc. but currently I am not sure if it's also completely unpickable.

All I know is: if you use animated Meshes of the 3DS or X Format, you need to make all of its mesh children pickable. I made an example for setting Children properties recursively (eg. for AntityAlpha), the same way it would need to be done with EntityPickMode:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=1170
You can try it, maybe it helps.

Chimeara(Posted 2005) [#3]
I don't think md2 anim's are but .b3d anims are....

Erroneouss(Posted 2005) [#4]
Drat... That throws my game down the toilet for a while until I think up a way to make it work... :'(

Oh well! I made a lot of progress on it today!

John Blackledge(Posted 2005) [#5]
AFAIK MD3s are not pickable.
I had to wrap a (child) see-thru cylinder around my character, then make the cylinder pickable.

Erroneouss(Posted 2005) [#6]
Thanks, I'll try that out.

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#7]
I don't think md2 anim's are but .b3d anims are....

Not exactly. Animated b3d's *are* pickable, but only in their stationary base pose. They do not return pick information based on their animated position.

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2005) [#8]
I think John has a great idea... wish I'd thought of it... That makes a game a got blocked on workable... Thanks John!
:)
-RZ