Sprite Designers

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Sprite Designers

GameKing(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi,

what is the best Sprite Designer around? For designing Sprites with animation.

Thank you

LineOf7s(Posted 2005) [#2]
Best? You decide that.

Here's one to consider, though: SpriteEd Rebirth
http://www.blitzcoder.com/cgi-bin/showcase/showcase_showentry.pl?id=zoragh12282003162337&comments=no

GameKing(Posted 2005) [#3]
Thank you LineOf7s.

big10p(Posted 2005) [#4]
TBH, I have yet to find a really good prite designer I feel comfortable using. Thus, I still use a DOS based sprite designer I wrote 10 years ago for QuickBASIC/QBasic. I have to take snapshot of the sprites, paste that into PaintShop, then chop and save in the format I want. It's a lot of hassle but, because I wrote it, it works exacly how I want. :)

GameKing(Posted 2005) [#5]
Hi big10p,

Ya, I have been searching all over and can not find anything really good. But this does sound like a good project to write one.

Ahhhhhh QuickBasic takes me back LOL!

Thank you

Bob3d(Posted 2005) [#6]
gale(shareware, not much limited)
animation shop that comes with jasc psp
webpainter 1.0 ...if u yet can find in inet, or have it in a cd

bc spriteed rebirth

adobe,gimp,etc...

NewtSoup(Posted 2005) [#7]
paint shop pro?

Its cheap and just as good as photoshop untill you REALLY need something better. A "sprite designer" is really just a graphics package like the above

or if you must absolutely have something for free try the "Gimp" is generally regarded as photoshop's equal, traditionally linux/unix only but I _think_ theres a Win32 version available now.

If not then PC Format (in the UK ) gave SuSe Linux away on its cover disk for free this month (and last) and the gimp is included in that. All you need is a spare disk to install linux on.

Failing that you can download most linux distros for free anyway (and get the gimp)

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2005) [#8]
Photoshop and GiMP are not really ART programs... Paint Shop Pro is an ART program. There are several PAINT programs available for free here:
http://www.snapfiles.com
Look in the FREEWARE section... there is one that has been released for the .NET format if you have that installed and it is supposed to rival PSPro.
I use PSPro and Corel and Rhino to make all my stuff.
GiMP has also been released for Windows.
-RZ

NewtSoup(Posted 2005) [#9]
depends on your definition of art, but they all do the same thing to a lesser or greater degree :). I would class 3d modelling and texturing as art regardless of the tools you used to do it. all the packages require skill and creativity to make best use of, neither of which I have in great supply when it comes to modeling

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2005) [#10]
Very true. But for sprites I use PSPro 8 it is fast easy and fun...
As far as Art? I have an MFA and I was a classroom Art Teacher in Middle School in Texas for 10 years and in College for 3 years and I can tell you: I know Art, but I don't know what I like...
{codicil to that phrase: I Know Warhol isn't Art.}
But PSP is a good deal and the diles on www.snapfiles.com do seem to work pretty good. : )
-RZ

CyBeRGoth(Posted 2005) [#11]
Gale, theres nothing like it :) http://www.humanbalance.net/gale/

It's so much like the old Amiga / Dos deluxe paint. Up until recently I still used the old dos DP on my old 486 for sprite work, Gale however runs in windows, is free (unless you want gif support) and easy to use.

Give it a go

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#12]
CyBeRGoth,

wooooo! Thanks for the link dude! That looks like the kinda thing I have been looking for. The Rebirth proggie is good but the icons are a nightmare to understand - so I find it very unfriendly to use.

IPete2.

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2005) [#13]
I have heard many good things about GALE.
-RZ

big10p(Posted 2005) [#14]
Yeah, thanks CyBeRGoth. Not heard of GALE before but sure looks promising from the screenies. Dl'ing now.

flying willy(Posted 2005) [#15]
Photoshop and GiMP are not really ART programs
Art is my job, and Photoshop is THE art package.

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2005) [#16]
Nope... if you can't draw with them... not art... Art has been my job too for about 21 years now. Are there ANY shape primatives in Photoshop? Line primatives? PS is for fuzzy headed Mac lovers... Not real production art. Not the modern stuff... 12 years ago maybe.

Photoshop is marketed (at a ridiculos price) as Photo Editing Software. You simply can't do what you can in Paint Shop Pro. For Graphic Design I use Corel 12 and for Art I PSP.

-RZ

Big&(Posted 2005) [#17]
ProMotion is another good sprite editor but its only for 8-bit stuff.

As for PhotoShop been for "fuzzy headed Mac lovers", never owned one but I would take PhotoShop over PaintShop any day of the week and twice on Sundays. It all depends on whats the right tool for you. I just prefer the workflow in PhotoShop and how it all works.

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#18]
Gale is gooood!
Thanks again for the link!

IPete2.