Publicity and Game Design

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Publicity and Game Design

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#1]
In your opinion, is it better to make a whole bunch of little games, or a few large games? Would it be better for publicity to create a whole bunch of little games?

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#2]
I think it would best to concentrate on finishing a game before you worry about your publicity and marketing. You can start looking at marketing strategies after that first one is done. At the moment, every day I open the forum you're working on a new project and ditching the one you started yesterday.

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#3]
I'm not ditching them.

I'm still working on every single project. I haven't given up once. But, OK, I'll finish my game(s).

Baystep Productions(Posted 2005) [#4]
I would...
Create some little puzzles that show talent, to throw your name out in the WWW. Then create the best damn game you've got. (not to good, leave some room to do better.) pop that out and start getting some fans and publishers. Public sees that you've got some little games to 'fit their lifestyle' after hearing about this really good one. Get some fans, and do it all over again. Retro things fadeing so don't do that. I'd try futuristic mystery or suspense. Not much of that.

GfK(Posted 2005) [#5]
Would it be better for publicity to create a whole bunch of little games?
Its better for publicity if you create games that are good.

Quality, not quantity.

big10p(Posted 2005) [#6]
Then create the best damn game you've got. (not to good, leave some room to do better.)

No offence, but that's rubbish, IMO. Always write the best game you can. It's hard enough getting yourself noticed without holding back stuff. In case you haven't noticed, there's a shed load of extremely talented programmers out there!

Besides, when coming to write your next game, increased experience/knowledge/technology will probably ensure it'll be better that your first, anyway. :)

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#7]
GFK is right, best example is Half-Life and valve software