Entity made of entities

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Entity made of entities

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#1]
how would you create animations for an entity e.g.a robot created from different surfaces
e.g. one entity for the leg one for the head etc.

Rob Farley(Posted 2005) [#2]
I would suggest making these one model and rigging it, then use findchild on all the bones and just rotate/turn/position the children. This way it keeps everything in the right place and it also means that you can rotate/turn/move the whole thing without worrying about the other bits.

If however, you specifically want to make it out of seperate entities then I would still suggest rigging the main body and doing findchilds so you know where to position and rotate the entities you want to attach.

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#3]
Is it possible to do all this rigging and bones and weighted whatsits and stuff through Blitz, with code, or do you need a modelling program?

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#4]
well when you have an robot made of different entities you can do cool things like shoot the arms off,
and it makes it easy to tell if you did a head shot
on a FPS

I suppose I would have to create my own multi entity animation editor, that would store info for a walking animation for example,
so therefore i would need seperate entities for the knees elbows, shins,forearms etc.

Rob Farley(Posted 2005) [#5]
If you rig your basic model as you would and put the arms and legs on, then animate as per usual. Then remove the arms and legs but leave the bones where they are then you can still animate using the blitz animate commands and get the entityyaw pitch etc from the children put your seperate arm and leg entities in said child positions. Hey presto, all working and able to fly off whenever they want!

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#6]
thanks Rob thats a better solution than creating another type of editor,
I think that is what they do in the star wars games to some degree,

although thinking about it, how would i put together all the seperate pieces in an animation package?
I dont know if that would be possible

Rob Farley(Posted 2005) [#7]
Start with the complete model, rig it, animate it, then remove the bits off the main section that will be the "mother" section, but leave the bones and animation in.

Then you just attach the bits within blitz to the bones.

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#8]
ok thanks ill give it a try