XM and IT music files crahsing!

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/XM and IT music files crahsing!

Viperfish(Posted 2005) [#1]
Is there a problem with XM and IT music files running in Blitz3d. My program seems to crash when changing music tracks, but only after a track has been playing for a few minutes. I get an error which says "Blitzcc.exe has encountered an error...blah blah" and it shuts down.

When I convert the tracks to .wav files (using modplug tracker which totally rocks) the program runs fine. But wav files are HUGE.

Anyone help here would be much appreciated.

fall_x(Posted 2005) [#2]
When I convert the tracks to .wav files (using modplug tracker which totally rocks) the program runs fine. But wav files are HUGE.
Ever heard of ogg files? It's like mp3 but better and free.

Still, mod files are usually smaller, and they should work.

joncom2000(Posted 2005) [#3]
I have encountered that problem but only with certain files, other XM or IT files seem to work so I suspect it's files from particular tracker(s) that the version of Fmod in blitz is falling over on.

Viperfish(Posted 2005) [#4]
Where can I find more info on using OGG files? Are ogg music trackers available? Modplug doesn't seem to support them. :(

Caff(Posted 2005) [#5]
Use Modplug to convert the .xm or .mod to a .wav file, then use another program to convert the .wav to .ogg.

Here's a program to convert from wav to multiple formats:
http://www.download.com/dBpowerAmp-Music-Converter/3000-2140-10042534.html?part=dl-dBpowerAm&subj=dl&tag=button
You also need this codec installed to go from wav -> ogg:
http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-ogg.htm

Then load the .ogg into Blitz using loadsound()

Viperfish(Posted 2005) [#6]
Magic!!!!!

Just converted a 57meg wav into a 4.5meg ogg with no noticable loss in quality and so far no problems. Thanks folks. I love this place.

John Blackledge(Posted 2005) [#7]
I've found that some XM files work, some don't; some IT files work, some don't.

I've since converted everything to ogg (thanks to dBpoweramp) - brilliant compression, almost no loss.

Black Hydra(Posted 2005) [#8]
almost no loss? I guess that depends on how the song was made. I converted one of my modules from s3m to ogg. The s3m file was 400 kb. The ogg file was 7.7 mb. So I can hardly say no loss. Is there any way you can still you use the module files? Because a difference of over 1400% is huge.

BlackD(Posted 2005) [#9]
I recommend downloading Sk@leTracker (a win32 remake of the good old fasttracker 2 by Triton) and use it to load and resave the modules, then try them in Blitz again. It may just be the tracker you're using at the moment screwing something up. Using original modules is preferable to using OGG for size reasons. :)

You can get Skale here:
http://www.metamacro.com/awezoom/skale/

+BlackD

Sledge(Posted 2005) [#10]

Is there a problem with XM and IT music files running in Blitz3d

There have been prior bug reports... seems Blitz inherited a bug in an FMOD revision. Of course FMOD was fixed pretty quickly but BRL has been a tad busy recently (with some sort of "Max" thingy); while you wait for the fix to be patched in you might try using Modplug tracker to convert your XM/IT to S3M... I think that format still functions properly but I'm not 100% certain.

John Blackledge(Posted 2005) [#11]
Black Hydra, my original .wav files compressed to a ogg of the same size or less than an equivalent mp3.

By 'no loss' I meant no appreciable loss of quality (to most peoples' ears) whereas I could always tell the difference between the original wav and an mp3.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#12]
Yup. i can tell an MP3. There are high frequency tones audible if you listen very carefully. Any audio format that is compressed looses quality, its just best to chose the one that gives the best quality with the lower size

If i'm making a full blown commercial in the box game, I use WAVs because they are top notch top quality (unless you use ...errr...yadayadayada)

Time to shut up i suppose.... ;)

{cYan|de}(Posted 2005) [#13]
same problem, it never happened with older blitz versions, thou i just tried an it and boom, same error after a while of it running

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#14]
I'm pretty sure the FMOD update broke it.