Removing unwanted polygons from a mesh

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Removing unwanted polygons from a mesh

Stevie G(Posted 2005) [#1]
Has anyone got a function that takes a mesh and checks to see which polygons can never be seen and therefore removes them and spits out a new mesh?

I'm sure I saw something like this in the past but can't find anything in the code archives here or at b/coder.

Anyone help me?

Dazman(Posted 2005) [#2]
I'm looking for something that does this as well, although i'm not sure that it will make any difference in speed, I imagine that the graphics card will just ignore the ones that are never seen? (although i guess it will take some processor time to decide if that is the case or not)?

Uber Lieutenant(Posted 2005) [#3]
I do this for all my 3D levels manually, but a function to do it automatically would be wonderful.

big10p(Posted 2005) [#4]
I don't think I understand! :P How can some polies "never be seen"? Surely all polies can be seen at some point, depending on which angle you're viewing the mesh from. Or are you talking about intersecting geometry?

Dazman(Posted 2005) [#5]
Yes, intersecting geometry (me at least)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#6]
of course there can be polygons that are isolated. Just imagine a shpere inside a bigger sphere, both with collision handling. You'll never see the inner sphere.

I guess it's pretty hard to do this automaticly. You could use the ICU Method with a very fine raster. But this works only with surfaces and children, not with individual polies. You could use it with polies, but then you'd need to convert it to use unshared vertices (each triangle has it's own 3 Vertices), so you could use VertexColor to color each Poly individually, which is required for the ICU method (see an older code archive entry about VIS Occlusion).

Bob3d(Posted 2005) [#7]
polyvis maxscript made selection sets from those polies never seen from a camera, depending in camera animation. This works for games that actually export the camera animation to the engine 'as is' in Max package. It solves it in the art side.(allowing deletion of selected polies, etc)

u can dig it at scriptspot.com

Bye

big10p(Posted 2005) [#8]
of course there can be polygons that are isolated. Just imagine a shpere inside a bigger sphere, both with collision handling. You'll never see the inner sphere.

Then why create the inner sphere in the first place? :)