Editing Engine

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Editing Engine

Zach3D(Posted 2005) [#1]
I heard you can edit the engine and insert your own things with C++ and openGL can you, and how?

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2005) [#2]
Well the engine in my 190e is a straight 6 2.8l fuel injected.... Ohhhh the B3D engine.

IMHO no.

You would not like whaat happens to the program when you do that. I would reccomend you simply use an IDE lib or some such. There are plenty in the toolbox. Possibly you can find what you want there.

-RZ

Dazman(Posted 2005) [#3]
You can do that with BlitzMax but not alas with Blitz3D.

John Blackledge(Posted 2005) [#4]
The fact is that if you could hack into the Blitz engine, the next release (with all new whizzy bells and whistles, of course) would literally quite likely make all your hacks redundant.

In other words you'd be stuck on the version that you hacked.

Also, have you read the license agreement?...

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#5]
OMG Did you?!

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2005) [#6]
Oh no... get the BLITZpolice... Officer... officer!!!!
-RZ

Clarks(Posted 2005) [#7]
Rook: that was a good one. LOL

Strider Centaur(Posted 2005) [#8]
Well editing the engine? Not really, but you can add functions and features using C++. Look for imformation here talking about DLL and DECL files( there is a section in the specs and utils area on this.

If you choose to add OpenGL support via this method, then you will not really be able to use and of Blitz3Ds entity controls for rotating, moving, etc. So you would have to code all this from scratch and to be honast, why bother, just get C# and any of the wonderful opensource 3D engines out there. If you prefer a Basic like language, than perhaps BlitzMax may be for you. Personaly Id go C# or JAVA over BMax.

If what you want to do is write games, then Blitz in any of its veriaties may not be what your looking for to begin with. If all you want to do is make a nifty game, FPS style , then Torque or Game Creator is far easier and faster.

Most people seem to think Blitz is a game coding language, and they are correct, and thats all it is, no standardized game creating tool set is making Blitz, fairly outdated by the competition standards these days. However it is a nice langauge for rolling your own, everything, as that is basicly what you have to do.

Also I would not call blitz a Engine, more like a API, there is very little actual engine there, more just a bunch of functions that make it esier to code a engine. You still have to put it all togeather, just don't have to be bothered with as much math. Torque is a engine, Blitz is a language. :)

Zach3D(Posted 2005) [#9]
NO i didnt hack into it, i meant more about libs and stuff to add on yourself. That you write with C++ and OpenGL