Need some good ideas

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Need some good ideas

Jack(Posted 2005) [#1]
Here what I am doing and what I need to get it right.

Basically I am making a flat (to start with) landscape mesh in milkshape.Then moving verts around to make adjustments.Then making and texturing groups.Then making height adjustments where wanted.Not too hard,right?

But it becomes VERY hard to get smooth curves in the landscape by moving verts.The vertical curves are not so touchy but smooth curves between the groups are important.I need something like the "poly tool" in Truspace. The problem with it is that when it sub-divides the object the created faces are goofy,at best.

My question is this.Does anyone have an idea of a tool I could use to complete the job? By the way - I'm not up for expensive deal like Max.

RiverRatt(Posted 2005) [#2]
The gimp, photo shop, paint, painter, paintshop pro

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2005) [#3]
You can also go to http://www.snapfiles.com and look in the FREEWARE tools section... Lots of possible stuff there including a new paint program that uses the .NET framework and looks interesting.

-RZ

Jack(Posted 2005) [#4]
Just how do paint programs MOVE verts???????

RiverRatt(Posted 2005) [#5]
Its all about the grey scale heightmaps. Just black and white imiges 255 being the highest, 0 being the lowest or vice versa. Its not hard at all. Just make a bmp image in paint,(has to be sizes like 64,128,256 sqaure) then in blitz use loadterrain instead of loadimage. Then use ScaleEntity, TerrainDetail, and TerrainHeight#, to adjust the width and height.

Bouncer(Posted 2005) [#6]
RiverRatt: He's not using terrains... learn how to read.

Jack(Posted 2005) [#7]
Exactly - thanks Bouncer

I am fully aware of how height maps and terrains work.

RiverRatt(Posted 2005) [#8]
Oh I'm sorry, you said landscape so I thought you were talking about terrains, as in I thought you were talking about milkshapes terrain editer, that saves terrains as heightmaps.
So if you are using a mesh for the landscape, have you tried wings (witch I am sure you are aware of), It subdevides much better than milkshape. Also I think there is a program in the code archives by Ross C that will convert hightmaps into meshes.

Jack(Posted 2005) [#9]
Thanks a lot RiverRat. I'll look for that code.

I looked at wings some time ago but that was before I really got into B3D.Maybe I better look again.

One of my gripes about MS is the Vert limit as well as the less than excellent subdividers.

FBEpyon(Posted 2005) [#10]
Try Blender3D its a open Source modeler.. I my self can't uses it because my system for some reason the FPS runs at 200+ so its hard to see anything..

www.blender3d.com

RiverRatt(Posted 2005) [#11]
Ya? I can't use blender because all the buttons vanish when I try to use them.

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2005) [#12]
This may be a silly question but... How many polys are in your landscape?

As I understand it the greater number of polys the smoother the mesh, right?

I recall something I read about this where people were going to put an extremely complex zone of polys around the camera/player and for distance the polys would get simpler so that a greater size map could be maintained.

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't TORQUE do something like that?

-RZ