Avoiding blurred textures

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Avoiding blurred textures

Shifty Geezer(Posted 2005) [#1]
Following on from my other woes, is there any way to get a 1:1 pixel ratio of camera to texture?

I tried a camera with Orthagonal projection would should allow it, a 640x480 sprite, a 640x480 texture, a 640x480 render buffer/window, and jiggled the camera zoom until the sprite filled the frame.

The sprite texture was a checkered pattern,alternate horizontal B&W stipres, and the same vertical. The results on the screen were worse than a downsize by pixel in Photoshop/PSP. There were lots of dark and white lines where the pixels weren;t being mapped even close to 1:1 with the screen. I thought it'd be possible to use a texture without any texture filtering at all - I guess that's my card enforcing it.

Is pixel-perfect in 3D impossible? If so, what's the best way to get high-fidelity graphics, namely text? I had been looking to maybe rework Swifts GUI a bit to add higher-res textures but I don't think the slightly blurred results can be changed no matter what. I then thought to just use sprites with textures with the textures of the text I want but that won't work either. There's a could of pixel-perfect GUIs out there but the impact on 3D performance and I'm writing to LOW spec machines.

Any suggestions?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#2]
You need to turn the mipmaping flag off. since mipmapping is on per default, you may use texturefilters to get that effect.

if you load the texture, do the following:

cleartexturefilters
texturefilter "",1
tex=loadtexture("x.bmp")

texturefilter "",9 ; set back to default

you may also use the Bit 256 when loading. Since it forces VRam-resident operations (faster for writing to the texture), it automaticly turns mipmapping off for that texture.