Inventory Type Array theory

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Inventory Type Array theory

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#1]
In an RPG game...

I think I need a little help getting my head around the dimensions and structure for an array of types.

I wish to use an Array because I need to represent an inventory listing (of an amount of inventory 'Spaces') capable of holding an indefinite number of items. These inventories need to be linked to each Character (again, possibly an indefinite number of characters will need inventories), and also, some items (i.e. bags) will have smaller inventories of their own.

Hope this is understandable, it does gert confusing, I know.

I've not used Arrays mixed with Types before, so I'm not 100% on the syntax and stuff, hopefully by implementing Arrays it will make things much easier, more efficient and cleaner-looking. From my ideas so far (without arrays), here's some thoughts:

Type Character
Field Char_name$
Field Char_Inventory_Ref
EndType

Type Inventory
Field Inven_Reference
Field Number_of_Slots
Field Has_Inven
End Type

Type InvenSlots
Field Inven_Ref
Field Slot_Reference
Field Item_Reference
End Type

Note that I need to cross reference the "Inventory" field along with Slot_Reference numbers in the last Type where the actual contents of slots arew to be found. I think that eventually, because there will be approximately 10 000 different items, this will get quite slowed down, although the inventories will only need to be iterated through when the inventory screen is opened or an object is picked up/dropped/equipped/unequipped etc.

Please can someone help me to make this more efficient?

big10p(Posted 2005) [#2]
I'm not sure I understand exactly what you want but, personally, I'd simply maintain my own linked list of inventory items whithin each 'character' type:

Type characterT
  Field name$
  Field inventory.itemT
End Type

Type itemT
  Field name$
  Field contents.itemT
End Type

Here, the 'inventory' field is a linked list of all the items the character is carrying. Similarly, the 'contents' field of itemT is a list of all items contained within it - this is used for container items like bags, etc.

You will need to write functions to add/remove items from these lists but that's fairly straight forward.

fall_x(Posted 2005) [#3]
I do it without arrays/linked lists... I just have a type for the items, and in this type I store which player the item belongs to in a field. When I want to show all the items of one player, I just loop trough all the items, and show the ones where that player is specified in that field.
Something like this :
for i=each item
	if i\pl=pl then
		; do stuff
	end if
next

Off course, this isn't the most performant way of doing it, so if you have 100's of items/players to loop trough (like in a mmorpg), another approach is better. But in my game there are only a limited amount of characters, which are all controlled by the player, and the items are only displayed in the menu and I only loop trough them when setting up that specific menu (not while displaying it, I just store the values in other types which are used by my menu system), so this is no problem. Hope this makes some sense :)
So I guess that's the easiest way of doing it, but not the most performant.

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#4]
The consideration here is that different items may have inventories, and different characters may have different inventories and the inventories may change sizes depending on strength etc.

@Big10p

This is where I get confused, it's the use of the syntax and the "." in the middle of the FieldName that you use here:

Field inventory.itemT

Field contents.itemT

What exactly does this do and how do I use the functionality to best advantage?

Thanks!

fall_x(Posted 2005) [#5]
Dots (.) are used to define the type that field will be an instance of. So in that case, "inventory" will be an instance of type "itemT".

big10p(Posted 2005) [#6]
I suggested the linked list method because I figured it would make use of container objects easier. You can put containers inside containers etc. Also, all items held in a container automatically get carried across when you move the container from one list to another. e.g. "The wizard gives the bag to the Elf".

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#7]
That sounds jsut like what I need, Big10p

Il have to have a play around with it and might be posting back here, but thanks!

big10p(Posted 2005) [#8]
Malice, here's a small example of the linked list system I'm talking about. Implementing it wasn't actually as straight forward as I thought it would be. :) I decided to use doubly linked items (that point forward and backwards in the list) mainly to make removing items from lists easier.

Anyway, as it is, this system is pretty flexible and offers the following features:
- Each character has their own inventory which has no limit to the amount of items they can carry. In reality, you'll probably want to limit this by giving each character a maximum weight they can carry, or something.
- Containers can be put in containers with no limit on the level of nesting. I didn't want to complicate the code by identifying specific items as containers so you can actually put any item in any other item! You'll want to change this. :)
- Transfering a container item will automatically take all it's contents with it. This should work even if the container itself contains any number of further containers and items.

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#9]
Thanks Big10p! This is a great help! It should be easy to implement.

I had never had knowledge of accessing another Type's field as linked to another Type directly as dfescribed in this line for example:
Field inventory.itemT		

Thanks again!

big10p(Posted 2005) [#10]
You're welcome.

If you're not familiar with linked lists, you may find the code a bit confusing to begin with. I find it's helpful to actually draw the links between objects out on paper to get a better understanding of what points to what, etc. This is what I did when working out the system, before actually coding it. :)