Will we ever get bone creation by code?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Will we ever get bone creation by code?

elias_t(Posted 2005) [#1]
It feels a little bit strange that we can create bones through b3d files only and not by code.
If I want to create some bones for a mesh I have to export to a boned b3d file and load it.

Will this ever be added? Will a b3d update ever happen again?

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#2]
Stay tuned for the next episode...

(if there is one)

elias_t(Posted 2005) [#3]
What episode?
It seems they want b3d somehow to die. If it is the case at least they could give us access to more low level stuff of b3d.

Barliesque(Posted 2005) [#4]
They're a small development team with a big new product that's taking up most of their attention, understadably I think. Mark has said that they're not giving up on Blitz3D, and it's worth noting that they have released a few updates (not terribly frequent, of course) even during the last few months before releasing BlitzMAX. So, I'm inclined to believe that they'll get back to supporting B3D more regularly once they've gotten out of the woods with BlitzMAX.

Have you been creating your own boned models by constructing a B3D file in-code, and then loading it in? If that's working well, maybe you can shape it into a function library for the code archives?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#5]
Hi Elias, long time ago, nice to see you. Yes, this would be a cool feature. But it's also a feature for advanced users and maybe the number of users who need it is not very high. There have been many feature requests since the last update. I think Mark will stop adding a lot of new Features to B3D and instead round up the current state, fix bugs and missing links. BTW. You can always create a meshfile with bones and load it.

elias_t(Posted 2005) [#6]
Hi Dieter. How are things?
I mean that the code base of b3d to handle bones is already in. Just to add some commands to add bones and asign vertices and weights could be a 5 minutes work.

cermit(Posted 2005) [#7]
Just to add some commands to add bones and asign vertices and weights could be a 5 minutes work.

Nah, there is probaly more work than that. Although this feature would be cool.

flying willy(Posted 2005) [#8]
Hi Cygnus, please try to keep your jokes in general discussion or where they will not get in the way of productivity. The bone of contention here is an issue stemming from way back before you joined.

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#9]
Someone created a program in blitz that could add bones to a model. Bone creator or something. I think it might have been skitchy. AGain, i'm not too sure. Definately exists tho :o)

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#10]
Couldn't you alter the mesh's file itself and then reload it?
It's slow, but possible in some cases.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#11]
That's what I meant. But I guess he wants it for some dynamic evolution procedures or something (imagine a growing tree).

Litobyte(Posted 2005) [#12]
what's a problem for a growing tree ?

You just translate the correct bones joints via programming, and have your growing tree.

I think elias meant to have the possibility of not only rotating and translating joints, but also adding/removing them and assigning correct weights to vertices with a new sets of commands, like AddJoint, SmokeJoint (hern j/k), and BindVertices or AssignVertices(JointIndex%,VertexIndex%,weight#) where weight is a value 0.0 - 1.0 where 1.0 means 100%

In this way creating animations tools would be a trick really, and also think at possibility of adding new joints at realtime.

I don't know how many new 3D engines do that though. I think they all chew pre-compiled stuff, and are not able to create/delete skeleton joints at realtime.

What was your question concerned Elias, for characters creation, or in general for the .b3d format ?

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#13]
Lol @ "Unknown"

Actually, i would think Bone creation by code would be an excelent thing to play with.. Realtime damage speed up and things like that...

and err.. WHo was UNknown? eh?