Writing for Mip mapping quality

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Writing for Mip mapping quality

Shifty Geezer(Posted 2005) [#1]
Can someone give advice on writing for different hardware quality platforms? I've purchased Swift's GUI library after running the demo and seeing stuff I liked. Since then I thought I'd drop my 3D graphics Mipmapping settings from Best Quality to Fastest (in Desktop Properties/Settings/Advanced/Direct3D/Mipmap detail) to simulate older, less capable hardware (I'm using a Ti4200). I've found as a result my texture-based lighting has nasty shadows and the SwiftGUI is blurred like stink; totally unusable.

Can I assume a basic 3D card will manage decent mipmapping as standard and what I get in 'fastest' mode is lower than standard. Or should I expect mipmapping to be of the lowest possible quality and hence the SwiftGUI is of no use, plus my lighting texture method might need work.

Cheers.

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#2]
That's an interesting point... I think the normal setting on your gfx card would be the same as previous older cards. Just an assumption though...

Shifty Geezer(Posted 2005) [#3]
I've tried Best, Fastest and Blend (middle). Certainly the 'Swift GUI' doesn't look to good at anything other than best, with text blurred and faded. I don't want to question Swifty directly over this yet until I hear more from other users, if possible.

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#4]
Dropping mip-map level does not simulate older hardware, it just uses lower (smaller, blurrier) mip-maps. Nobody does that because it effects all 3D gfx, including GUIs done with meshes/quads like sswifts system. Using anything less than "best" setting is a "pilot error" and there's nothing Sswift can do about it. Just don't do it.

Shifty Geezer(Posted 2005) [#5]
So even old cards have high-quality mip-mapping and it's not an issue? Okay.

skidracer(Posted 2005) [#6]
If you want text sharp I would think you need to have different textures loaded for different screen resolutions in order to keep your texel to pixel ratio 1:1 avoiding mipmapping entirely.