great reluctance

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/great reluctance

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2005) [#1]
I have noticed a great reluctance of people not posting code on these forums anymore. No one seems to post. Oh occasionally I will see someone posting if they have a problem but only in rare cases.

I like Blitz because people share. Share more. I doubt anyone here is genius enough that someone else can steal their idea and make $24,000,000.00+ (or even $9.99+) If you are that paranoid why even talk about your problems at all!

Blowing off steam in Asvallah... 7 more months to go!!!
-RZ

BlackD(Posted 2005) [#2]
It's more likely that people aren't posting their code because they have nothing to show at the moment. And these days if they DO have something to show it's generally part of a product and nobody wants to release product source code for obvious reasons. If someone has something theywant to show off in code, they will, dun worry. :)

+BlackD

RiverRatt(Posted 2005) [#3]
"I doubt anyone here is genius enough that someone else can steal their idea and make $24,000,000.00+ (or even $9.99+)"

I don't know about that. There are some smart people around here. Sometimes all they need is a spark, a hint at an idea and they will run with it.

SoggyP(Posted 2005) [#4]
Greetings Puppies,

I'm trying to kick off a few community projects in the beginners section mainly to allow people to show code off. The idea with these is not to make money, just to get people started. I've put a space invaders clone up, which I'll be updating tonight with scoring, high score table and multiple levels. Then it'll be a basic platform game and then probably the frogger clone I've done - none of it rocket science, but karma wise should earn me at least $24,000,000.00. Probably.

Peace,

Jes

Rob Farley(Posted 2005) [#5]
Well I'm not doing diddly at the moment, can't be bothered. Most people on here are so precious about their spinning cube code it makes me sick. I give away a massive amount of code, I doubt I'll bother anymore. It's not worth it.

I've put loads of effort into community projects for people just to get bored and bail. Why should I bother?

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#6]
I don't post anything i code cos im unsure it will be useful, i think i didnt clean the code up enough and i think it can be done in a more efficient way so i leave it for whenever. People post when they have something to post, I believe. Not sure if its true that they are posting less lately, but if it is it may be that most of the older ppl have either gone more pro or quit blitz. If they are 'pro' they make their stuff to earn money maybe and sure they wont post it. Anyhow, you should have a look at Pastebin, people paste there a LOT and you'd know that if you were on the IRC.

Here's the address:
http://legion.gibbering.net/pastebin/index.php

RiverRatt(Posted 2005) [#7]
I don't know. Do you think its becouse you are a teacher at heart? Personaly I show code to ask a question or to show something off. I'm not close to the leval some people around here are, but I keep going. Alian breed? Well I thought about trying to add something to it. It looks like it will be a great game. But what could I contribute that you or anyone working on it could not do 10 times better?

HappyCat(Posted 2005) [#8]
Personally, and I'm probably not the only one, I'm not precious about my code at all - I just don't think I'm doing anything that warrants being shown off. Why would I just post random code for the sake of it?

However, if someone asked how to do something and I had some code handy that would help then I'd happily post it. Untangling it from the rest of my code would be another matter entirely :-)

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#9]

Personally, and I'm probably not the only one, I'm not precious about my code at all - I just don't think I'm doing anything that warrants being shown off. Why would I just post random code for the sake of it?

However, if someone asked how to do something and I had some code handy that would help then I'd happily post it. Untangling it from the rest of my code would be another matter entirely :-)

Aye. My thoughts exactly.

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#10]
IMHO, most folks who post code, place it in the Code Archives. The Code Archives is a Gold Mine. Its the best way to ensure the code isn't lost in a buried thread.

I reckoned a cool forum 'smart' feature would be to consolidate similar topics under one fourm thread. However, this really isnt necessary with a good search feature.

I toss code around like candy, regardless. Sometimes, its the only way I feel I can illustrate my point. All of my projects have been free and opened to the public in one form or another. Some complete, some not.

IMHO, it isnt prudent to attempt to sell code, apps or games in a Game/App Development community for many reasons: 1) Most here are 'Programmers' that have the potential to dev what ever you're attempting to sell, 2) Narrow Market Base, 3) I appreciate the concept of open source.

I will pay for quality Animated/Non-Animated Media and Artwork which have a higher value in this sort of community in my opinion. It would be nice to see more media packs for games. Artist take note.

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#11]
Yeah.
Personally, I lack the ability and knowledge to really contribute anything of value; but whenever I am able to offer code ort anything, I try.

One thing that makes a community, i that with the more experienced members helping the less able, the community grows as a whole. This ensures a greater standard throughout the Blitz 'world', which in turn means that the ideas flying around are generally of a higher calibre, and eventually, more people will be able to contribute effectively to community projets etc, the profile of blitz itself is raised, promoting and allowing for even more development of the software itself.

morduun(Posted 2005) [#12]
I think we're seeing less code lately for a number of reasons, not least of which the depressing lack of updates driving people to evaluate alternatives.

That said,

http://www.echthros.com/downloads/code/

More on the way as I finish off my remaining B3D projects.

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#13]
I give away a massive amount of code, I doubt I'll bother anymore. It's not worth it.

I've put loads of effort into community projects for people just to get bored and bail. Why should I bother?
When you have awesome contributors like Rob Farley, saying things like this, it is a sign of serious trouble. Dont give up Rob!

I should be discouraged as well, with all the negative feedback I recieved on Project PLASMA FPS. I provided a sh!t-load of support and code for it. Regardless of my efforts, I'm accused of not finishing the project or in other words causing the project to fail. There has yet to be a successful FPS Community Project so I dont feel that bad about it.

All I know is that I tried really, really hard to make it work. I'm taking what I've learned from that project and using it in others. I'm not leaving empty handed. I realized that I can improve with each effort and that goes for anything I do.

I would expect that lack of code contributions, could stem from Blitz3D coders running to BMAX. IMHO, the move is totally fad for most. A large majority of these programmers around here are simply not ready for a OOPL. Heck, most dont apply basic 'object-based' programming techinques to their BASIC programs. The hype will be short lived and they'll be back.

Anyhow, I'm going to continue to contribute my ideas, theories, code, art, or plain BS. I enjoy Blitz3D and the Blitz Community.

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#14]
Heh well said.

I know my limits, and am just trying to code what I know I CAN do in B3d without worrying about the stuff that I know is beyond me. Of course, I get a little stuck here and there and ask some pretty daft questions, but luckily I've received great help & advice.

Yes it is worrying that people can feel that despondent, like Rob Farley. In a way, I can empathise with their frustration, I guess being a major contributor conveys with it a fair heap of pressure and responsibility which isnt necessarily fair.

Well, on behalf of the community, to the community:

thanks for all the help and code that has been submitted by everyone to everyone until now :)

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#15]
Rob, i'm currently having a look at the alien breed code. I'm reading it through alot so i can add stuff without causing havoc.

John Blackledge(Posted 2005) [#16]
Rob, don't give up!
This is still a great community, even if there have been a few prima donnas bitching recently (probably just showing their immaturity).

To Rook, I just posted some code a few minutes ago (See Image System), so Nyah!

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2005) [#17]
Thats OK I just wanted to contribute my $0.02 even if half of it wasn't totally on the money.

I am not a code booster but I always enjoyed playing with others code and seing the creative ways they settled problems etc. I have learned a great deal by looking at other peoples solutions. I have learned a great deal from this message board and the incredibly helpful people on it.

I did just want to say that. Clarification as it were! 6 months and 29 days to go!!!!!