Blitz3D/Protean on Linux

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Blitz3D/Protean on Linux

xmlspy(Posted 2005) [#1]
I just got a new computer and I would really like to install a version of Linux as the main operating system. Which version of Linux would be able to run Blitz3D? Protean may not work at all, since it needs the .net framework, but if I could get at least Blitz3D working, it would be awesome.

Clarks(Posted 2005) [#2]
i think youll need an emulator for that.

Dazman(Posted 2005) [#3]
You don't stand a chance of getting Protean to work, i am fairly sure Blitz won't either, the IDE obviously wouldn't run, so your only chance is using it from the command line and i'm pretty certain that won't work either, even if it managed to compile the source, it wouldn't be able to run the exe. (though i could be wrong)

xmlspy(Posted 2005) [#4]
Yep, Linux sucks!! Kill it!! Kill the penguin!!! :)

As close as it gets, at the moment,
http://www.transgaming.com/products_linux.php

Clarks(Posted 2005) [#5]
are you stupid or what?

ckob(Posted 2005) [#6]
theres actually a library for linux that allows you to run .net applications in linux but I can't remember the name off hand. Linux doesnt suck btw

xmlspy(Posted 2005) [#7]
Kill all Linux based OSs!!! Kill linspire! and kill all Unix based OSs! Kill Mac OS! arg!

Note: Linux doesn't suck, it just doesn't run B3D.

Dazman(Posted 2005) [#8]
@ xmlspy, the only person that said Linux sux was....er....you.

xmlspy(Posted 2005) [#9]
Indeed... :)

D4NM4N(Posted 2005) [#10]
The only thing that sucks is Micro*coughed, but we are all slaves to its fingers in everyones pies (&PCs)!

popcade(Posted 2005) [#11]
You can, actually install Windows and Linux in different partition, for different needs.

I installed PureBasic, and soon will BlitzMax with Linux, PB actually works PERFECT on it.

Dazman(Posted 2005) [#12]
I don't doubt for a second NetRiSCA, that you can run the Linux version of PureBasic PERFECTLY on Linux in your Linux partition, i'm also quite sure that the Windows version of PureBasic would run PERFECTLY on Windows in your Windows partition.

How could it be otherwise? :)

Rottbott(Posted 2005) [#13]
You need Mono to run .Net apps like Protean, but I don't know how advanced its Windows.Forms support is, so you may be out of luck there.

Blitz3D? Forget it!

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2005) [#14]
For Linux there is WINE and WIN4LIN as well as a few others... Lindows claimed to have an advanced WINE as a part of the op sys... I even saw a screenshot of Neverwinter Knights allegedly running. I quick check of GOOGLE reveals several half-@$$3d attempts at it but I keep hearing how the 3D is choppy and you can forget nVidia 3D if you want compatibility.

Again this is rumorage and I do not report it as fact.

-RZ

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#15]
Linux gone comercial.. Poo... :/

Bob3d(Posted 2005) [#16]
well, I think several apps run pretty well in wine. I think Anim8or, the 3d modeller/animator, works pretty well.

Linux has not gone comercial, I mean, many linux distros are free.

Linux is a *very* good OS. I have had it years installed (Mandrake, SuSE, Red Hat) together with even several Windows partitions in same pc. There are free available tools for this multiboot and partition making. It's needed some good knowledge of it and backing up all the info, previous to that, and be sure you're in "beta" stage while you famirialize with all these methods, so backup all every time till you get more used to it.

BTW, nvidia cards seem to offer less problems than atis in linux...