Help with Animation

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Help with Animation

Black Hydra(Posted 2005) [#1]
I need to know whether the speed parameter that specifies how fast to run an animation in the

Animate entity, [mode,] [speed#,]... command is based on an actual speed or whether this is a measurement and not a speed.

I guess what I am trying to ask is will I have to adjust my speed parameter based upon how many loops I am getting per second.

I originally figured speed meant, well, speed, not a certain amount of the animation per UpdateWorld(). However I notice that no matter how much tweaking I do to my values they always seem to be off when I try running my game again.

I'm using functions to calculate speed by dividing them by the loops/second, not render tweening, so if this speed# parameter is affected by how fast the game is running I need to know. Unfortunately I am not getting varied enough speeds on my own computer to see if I am correct in my assumption...

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#2]
simply use the speed value that looks best on your machine. Then use the Parameter of the UpdateWorld(t#) Command where t# has to be the frametime, something like:

t=millisecs()-17 ; (prevent division by zero)

while not keydown(1)
 t2=t
 t=milisecs()
 computer_speed#=float(t-t2)/16.67
 updateworld(computer_speed#)
 renderworld()
 flip
wend

Now the animation should look the same on all machines.

You can add a "Delay 50" somewhere to simulate a slow machine.

Black Hydra(Posted 2005) [#3]
Well it really doesn't matter whether I calculate the speed within my code or through update world... I have a whole library of functions that calculate values for them. All I needed to know was if my suspicions were correct. Thanks you for confirming them, I will start modifying the animation speeds.