PHP Web Hosting

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/PHP Web Hosting

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#1]
I've looked all over the net for CHEAP PHP/MySQL hosting, and I've found a couple I like, but they still aren't that cheap. I've looked at Dot5Hosting and many other low-budget web hosting, but those, as well as Dot5, are not that inexpensive.

So I want your opinion - who do you use as web hosting?

Lane(Posted 2005) [#2]
Hostdepartment.com has been ok. The deal is pretty good and they are fairly reliable though not totally. At least when there is a problem you can find it listed in the network status page. They have had some bad publicity in the past, but considering the type of business they are in, you are bound to run into some problems here and there when moving server farms.

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#3]
Yeah - I've decided that Dot5 is better than that. Dot5 is only $5 a month.

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#4]
Dot5 looks pretty decent. I use PowWeb, as they offer 150gb of traffic per month for $7 a month, which I found useful, but if you're not desperate for that much traffic, Dot5 seems pretty good.

PowWeb have a great control panel, great support and a whole lot of extras for that $7, but it sounds as though the lowest price is your primary concern.

Chi3f Stadi(Posted 2005) [#5]
Wow, that's very expensive.

I pay below 7$ for flatrate (unlimited traffic) with 250MB store unlimited mailboxes PHP,mySQL mutliple subdomains and more ...

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#6]
Yeah - I'm primarily concerned about price. I can't find anything below $5.

asdfasdf(Posted 2005) [#7]
www.godaddy.com

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#8]
unlimited traffic

Clearly there's no such thing as unlimited, and most providers will disconnect you under their "abuse" clause in the terms of service for a lot less than 150gb of traffic a month.

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#9]
With all the add-ons, even on the economy plan, it comes out to be higher than $5. With Dot5, you get all that for $5 - and actually I just found out, if you pay for two years, it's only $4.

Should I go with Dot5?

po(Posted 2005) [#10]
I use www.iamyourhost.com. $5 a year for PHP, MySQL, and alot of other goodies in the control panels. I have the $10 a year package where I get 2GB of space, 30GB monthly bandwidth and other stuff.
I wouldn't rocomend them if you are planning to have a real serious, pro, important site though, because There has been quite a bit of down time. Also it's as if it were run by a child, with pointless rules like:
No anime(?)
No streaming videos
No putting anything on your site unless it's directly linked to your home page(they don't want you using thier webspace for storing stuff....lame)
No iirc
And others.....

mrmango(Posted 2005) [#11]
I indeed agree.

Unlimited space and bandwidth is available as long as you do not breach the abuse conditions. If you use too much too quickly or its affecting other users etc you will have your account suspended.

But end of the day, most webs should go over that unless you are a dedicated download website, then I suggest a dedicated server supplier.

You also need to look at how many accounts they load on one server. That is going to be hard to get if they don't want you to know they have thousands of accounts on the server!

Smaller hosting co's can be fine, as they are more bothered about taking care of all the customers, not just how many they have registered.

Even resellers are good, just if they are resellers, ask them who they use, most should tell who they use. They can give you a personal service that a bigger company can't, just do a search for them on the internet, see if they have a review, good or bad.

Hope this helps

Dave

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#12]
Does "iamyourhost" charge for domains? Dot5 charges $5 a month for the hosting, AND the domain. Really good deal.

po(Posted 2005) [#13]
Well, they don't do domains. I got my domain from godaddy.com for $7 a year. so it comes to a total of $17 a year to run my site.

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#14]
Yeah.

I think I'll go with Dot5.