GNet

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/GNet

Lane(Posted 2005) [#1]
Does anyone still use GNet?

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#2]
Lane,

I plan to use it with PersistentWorld3D. IHMO, there is just a large lack of multiplayer/ multiuser Games and Apps.

Storm8191(Posted 2005) [#3]
I'm planning to use it for a basic Snakes game I'm working on. I'm currently busy building my own networking library for actual program communications. Once I get done with that I'll attempt a peer-to-peer style chat system (which I could probably use some testers for), and then I'll work out my snakes game networking.

Lots in the works (as it always seems to be) but still lots of work to do.

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#4]
I use Surreal's modified version of GNet for Kick Shot Pool. I host it on my own server, however, not on Mark's server ( wouldn't really be fair since it's a commercial game. )

Paolo(Posted 2005) [#5]
My game will have a Story single player mode, and multiplayer battle, and will use GNet to track games in progress, I just hope Mark keeps GNet alive until the game is finished because I already have most of the code done within the GNet commands ... :)

Paolo.

RepeatUntil(Posted 2005) [#6]
I am using the original Gnet for my project. You can see it appearing from time to time (when I test it) on the Gnet page here. As a matter of fact, when I go on this page, I see more and more some other people using it !
But I will now use the one done by Surreal for BlitzPlay, which has the advantage to not pause the server...

Chi3f Stadi(Posted 2005) [#7]
look at this small project:
http://www.blitzcoder.com/cgi-bin/showcase/showcase_showentry.pl?id=kstadler01012005142830&comments=no

Storm8191(Posted 2005) [#8]
...yeah, I don't know if I should ask here or start a new thread, but I got to looking at the GNet code today. You have to specify the server$ when adding and refreshing a game, but not when you remove a game. If I have multiple games listed on GNet, and one ends, does that destroy all the other games listed? That's a possibility I gathered from the code. The other possibility is that the GNet list will know which game instance is being removed based on the IP that removes it (and that any client can refresh a game).

I'm guessing only an official person could answer this, unless someone else has already asked before, but I'd appreciate some help in this area.