Loading in lightmap textures

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Loading in lightmap textures

EvilMeowChi(Posted 2005) [#1]
how would i load a uv lightmap i made into blitz and apply it to a model so that it is used as a lightmap?

EvilMeowChi(Posted 2005) [#2]
doesnt anyone know this?

Erroneouss(Posted 2005) [#3]
You made a model and it has a lightmap and you want it
to load it? For me, Blitz has automatically just loaded it
with my *.b3d file. Try exporting your model to a .b3d
and then put the lightmap in the same folder. Works for
me!

EvilMeowChi(Posted 2005) [#4]
i cant export to b3d because lightwave doesnt have a decent program for that yet, i have .x models that i need to load a lightmap for, how do i do that?

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#5]

i cant export to b3d because lightwave doesnt have a decent program for that yet

? If you have LW then all you need is Lee's free convertor. Problem solved, lightmapped models converted to .b3d with one click.

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#6]
Plus there's a converter in the Code Archives to convert .x to .b3d

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#7]

(accidental double-post)

EvilMeowChi(Posted 2005) [#8]
ok so lets say i have a b3d file then, how do i load a lightmap to it?

EvilMeowChi(Posted 2005) [#9]
? anyone?

Barliesque(Posted 2005) [#10]
The B3D file will contain both sets of UVs (texture and lighting) as well as references to your texture and lightmap image files. So just load the B3D and you're done. ...or are you hoping to load and swap multiple lightmap images?

EvilMeowChi(Posted 2005) [#11]
how do i add a lightmap image to a b3d file???? i have a uv texture i want to use as a lightmap, and a model.

EvilMeowChi(Posted 2005) [#12]
bleh

John Blackledge(Posted 2005) [#13]
I think perhaps people are misunderstanding your question.

You need a special piece of software that generates the lightmap as an external image (not part of the mesh/model).

Try SlimShady in the Tools section.

The resulting file is (usually) a bitmap.
For example, if your model is 'house.b3d' then the lightmap should be called 'house_lm.bmp'.

If the '_lm.bmp' letters are added to the basic name of the model then Blitz will know what it is, and automatically load and implement it as it loads your model.

EvilMeowChi(Posted 2005) [#14]
thanks a lot john, finally an answer i could use. Does this work for .x models too or just b3ds?

John Blackledge(Posted 2005) [#15]
Yes, for any model that Blitz can load.

Actually I couldn't believe that it was that easy when I first realised, but Mark Sibly does think ahead, and he implemented a very easy method for users.

You should also check out Maplet (which is free elsewhere within the Blitz sight). It's a nice simple program by Mark Sibly which (a) gets you going if (like me) you'd never modelled before, and (b) can produce a lightmap from your model.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2005) [#16]
Even if you wanna use 3DS or X file format. You have to export 2 meshes. One with textures you normally apply on it, and second with only lightmap texture applied on it. Here is the code..

Graphics3D 800,600,32,2

camera=CreateCamera()

map=LoadAnimMesh("MESH.3ds")
litemap=LoadAnimMesh("Mesh1.3ds")
t=LoadTexture("lmap.tga")

MapVertices(map,litemap,t)
FreeEntity litemap
FreeTexture t

MoveEntity camera,0,200,-500
PointEntity camera,map

While Not KeyHit(1)
TurnEntity map,0,0.1,0
UpdateWorld
RenderWorld
Flip
Wend
End

;=====================
Function MapVertices(model,copy,texture)

WriteLine Log,"Limb "+EntityName(model)+" contains "+CountChildren(model)+" children, "+CountSurfaces(model)+" surfaces.
For n=1 To CountSurfaces(model)
surf=GetSurface(model,n)
WriteLine Log,"Limb "+EntityName(model)+", surface "+n+" contains "+CountVertices(surf)+" vertices."
Next

For n=1 To CountSurfaces(model)

surf=GetSurface(model,n)
lsurf=GetSurface(copy,n)
For v=0 To CountVertices(surf)-1

tu#=VertexU#(lsurf,v)
tv#=VertexV#(lsurf,v)
tw#=VertexW#(lsurf,v)
VertexTexCoords surf,v,tu,tv,tw,1
Next
Next

TextureCoords texture,1
EntityTexture model,texture,0,1

For e=1 To CountChildren(Model)
limb=GetChild(model,e)
limb2=GetChild(copy,e)
MapVertices(limb,limb2,texture)
Next

End Function

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#17]
Even if you wanna use 3DS or X file format. You have to export 2 meshes. One with textures you normally apply on it, and second with only lightmap texture applied on it. Here is the code..

That's not true if you use the b3d format, which is why you should never be using .x and .3ds formats.

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#18]
also might want to play around with brush blendmodes to get the desired lightmapping effect you want. 2xmultiply/fullbright etc.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2005) [#19]
Well...as I know , procedure i explain working well with .3ds and X files..

Chuck(Posted 2005) [#20]
This brings up a question...

Is it possible to swap lightmaps ?

Say in your game, you would like to load lightmap A for daytime, lightmap B at sunset, and lightmap C for nighttime, etc...

Or... what about load no lightmap at night...

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#21]
Well...as I know , procedure i explain working well with .3ds and X files..

That still doesn't address the issue of why you would use .3ds or .x files in the first place. They have absolutely no advantages over b3d that I can see, and they have a whole set of disadvantages, quite apart from the fact that you need to code around their lack of support for 2 UV channels.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2005) [#22]
I agree Sybixsus, what I was try to explain is way how to load separately lightmap with different types of meshes since EvilMeowChi using Lightwave and no have B3D exporter..I was just explain possible solutions for him with formats he can use without b3d exporter, according to his question..I wasnt try to compare B3D with rest of the formats..soo..

John Blackledge(Posted 2005) [#23]
Check out Decorator in the Tools section...
I generally export from any modeller I use in .X format, then load into Decorator and export as .B3D - a cheap option.

Sledge(Posted 2005) [#24]
For manually loading a lightmap after the fact of a b3d model:

map=LoadMesh("testmap.b3d")
lmap=LoadTexture("testmap_lm.bmp",16+32)
TextureCoords lmap,1
TextureBlend lmap,2
EntityTexture map,lmap,0,1
EntityFX map,1

You can load and apply alternate day/night lightmaps this way.