Sporadic crashes at renderworld.

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Sporadic crashes at renderworld.

poopla(Posted 2005) [#1]
Anyone had any problems with this in the past? I'm having some issues with this and I don't remember what some of the causes were.

fall_x(Posted 2005) [#2]
Do you get a specific error?

SoggyP(Posted 2005) [#3]
Greetings Puppies,

Check for NANs. I seem to remember those causing me problems though I'm sorry I can't be more specific.

Peace,

Jes

big10p(Posted 2005) [#4]
I think RenderWorld throws a wobbly if you build a mesh with too many vertices/triangles in it. Stick to ~32000 verts/tris per surface.

JoshK(Posted 2005) [#5]
You have errors in your mesh building code.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#6]
Add a Delay 1 after the Renderworld and check if it still crashes.

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#7]
jfk - I am wondering - did you make Slim Shady and Texture Wobbler?

Erroneouss(Posted 2005) [#8]
Sometimes if I run a Blitz3D Application from the IDE
and I leave it on for a while, my screensaver comes up,
which was made in Blitz3D, and I get an error on Renderworld for my App from the IDE.

poopla(Posted 2005) [#9]
No, it's not the mesh building code. I stripped it all and still got the error. There isn't a specific erro no. It jsut MAVs on the renderworld, and then resets my GFX card because it stops responding. I'm considering hardware as the culprit now.

poopla(Posted 2005) [#10]
My first memory slot is dead.. realised this after doing diagnostics on it and the rest of my system... and multiple ram sticks. Put only one stick into the second slot, no crashing.

MadJack(Posted 2005) [#11]
You're not running an Athlon64 by any chance?

poopla(Posted 2005) [#12]
No, athlon T bird... and it's more then the first memory slot after all. The damned thing is jsut having memory faults all over at random. Looks like I need to pick up a new one to replace it.

poopla(Posted 2005) [#13]
Used a better diagnostic tool and don't get the memory faults, but I have no idea what is causing this... I've stripped almost everyting out other then loading 5 meshes, and moving them around a bit, and it's still crashing out big time. There must be a NAN somewhere that's fragging it.

fredborg(Posted 2005) [#14]
You're not using floats as handles for entities or textures, are you?

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#15]
Are you using Protean? I find Protean causes nasty videocard crashes on simple bugs that the standard IDE doesn't. I don't know quite what it is, but I assume it's something to do with the 3rd party integration of the debugger. I tend to code quickly and strip the bugs out later ( I don't recommend this technique ;) ) so I've given up Protean and gone back to the official IDE. It won't help you find the bug, but it might stop the machine resetting every time for you to be able to track down the bug.

Shambler(Posted 2005) [#16]
Recently had a similar problem when running any 3D game.

Solved it by taking out the ram and reinserting it.

Does your PC just crash with your blitz program or with 3D games too?

poopla(Posted 2005) [#17]
Fredborg, nope(and that should if anything register a traceable MAV).

I recoded a large chunk of the game that was using globals over night, and so far, no crashing... I hope it stays that way.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#18]
I had blue screens (BSODs) some time ago when I used to renderworld twice each frame, using 2 cameras for stereoscopic view. It seemed windows wasn't happy when my App didn't let it "breath" from time to time. Adding a Delay 1 after Flip solved this problem.

BTW No Enemies -
jfk - I am wondering - did you make Slim Shady and Texture Wobbler?
Of course, if I would add something to my .SIG that isn't my work, I would declare this explicitly. Just 2 Freeware Apps for you Blitzers. Tho Wobbler could be done better, and Slim Shady is based on YAL, the lightmapper source that can be found in the code archives.