Flat Shaded Shininess

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Flat Shaded Shininess

Jake(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi - I'm using EntityShininess to make it look as if the sun is reflecting off the panes of glass in a 'greenhouse' model. I have set the model to be flat shaded using EntityFX, but the specular highlights produced look odd. It looks as if its using vertex normals rather than face normals for the specular? Anyone know if there is anything I can do to get round this?

Cheers,

DJWoodgate(Posted 2005) [#2]
I think it is using just one vertex normal, and as as far I know there is not much to be done about it. I guess you could unweld those tris you want flat shaded and calculate your own normals for them, or try Sswifts normal routine on the archives which does not try to smooth unconnected verts.

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#3]
Jake,

EntityShininess does not produce 'reflection'. Its a more so like a Phong shading effect. The only way I know of to produce the effect is with some texturing and texture mapping tricks.

However, you might be able to pull off decent Sun Reflection using a Lens Flare technique. Checkout the following code archives entries: 1 & 2.

Jake(Posted 2005) [#4]
Thanks - a combination of unwelding the tris and turning the faces of each quad into the same orientation got the effect I was looking for.

I also had to export using UnWrap3D rather than Milkshape as it seemed to automatically reweld the tris on export.

Cheers,