spline interpolation, any news?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/spline interpolation, any news?

Bob3d(Posted 2005) [#1]
I'm not into code, so I don't understand a word about that, but...Anyone knows if there has been made some patch or something to add spline interpolation in animation for b3d files? I mean, once in the engine (as ultimate unwrap shows me nice interpolation in those files)

I know you can bake all anim into keyframes, making a key in every bone, for every frame, but is sounds to me as that is gonna be really expensive in HD memory(also ram?), specially when there are quite some animations... and ...Am I wrong to think it will also be expensive in performance? There are other reasons I really want to avoid that bake.

Rob Farley(Posted 2005) [#2]
B3D does interpolate with animation.

Bob3d(Posted 2005) [#3]
but only linear, I guess, not spline....

MD2 is linear, but there's a much advanced one, spline...the one u output in 3d softwares...

hed(Posted 2005) [#4]
That also would interest me...

It looks as if blitz tweens linear (a little "robotic") instead of
splined (more smooth and "humanoid")... But I'm not sure... Anyone else?

JoshK(Posted 2005) [#5]
Correct, it just interpolates linearly between two positions and rotations, which makes it require a lot more keyframes.

Bob3d(Posted 2005) [#6]
yep...And not being a programmer my self, don't know how much impact could have baking a keyframe per frame in a b3d file whose model is somewhat past the 2000 triangles, has a complex skeleton (quite a number of bones: not an standard simple rig) , all its weights, being generally long animations of sometimes even 160 frames per action (others being much shorter) in the game/engine performance...

Counting on that... by itself has probably already an impact in low machines for polygon count, weights, etc...

But if not, I'd see it much better to be able to bake all to frames as keyframes , so that the result in the engine is more wysiwyg. Otherwise, in blitz is killed loads of life like hard worked anim effects... (ie: hair, cloth animation, etc)