KOTOR sith armor

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/KOTOR sith armor

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#1]
how did they get the sith armor so shiny in KOTOR
(and dont say polish)

Caff(Posted 2005) [#2]
Maybe mod 2x blend mode?

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#3]
Looks like a cube map to me. I would have guessed that it's add blend, since that can give you some very shiny results ( eg: the balls in kick shot pool ) but Caff may be right.

BlackD(Posted 2005) [#4]
It's a static cubemap underneath a normal texture at about 75% transparency.

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#5]
sorry, is a cubemap where you get 4 cameras and render them to the texture?

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#6]

sorry, is a cubemap where you get 4 cameras and render them to the texture?

Nope - cubemap has *six* sides... ;P But seriously, other than that it is generally speaking like you described. IMO Spherical enviroment map is just as good for "shiny armor effect" and much easier to setup.

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#7]
is that the same as the 'teapot demo' in the blitz folder under 'mak'?
the spheremap is a bmp file so if the teapot is moved it will no longer reflect the right environment,

but a simple picture with some lights on it should suffice I spose (for the spheremap)

the latest wrestling games look like they use the same technique which makes for realistic skin,

but how would you match up each bit of reflective light to each muscle?trial and error?

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/wwesmackdownvsraw/screens.html?page=126

BlackD(Posted 2005) [#8]
[quote]the spheremap is a bmp file so if the teapot is moved it will no longer reflect the right environment,[quote]
Which is why you don't use a reflection of the scene. In KOTOR the reflection used in Sith armour is simply a generic image of swirly silver, white, and dark lines. Same with HalfLife (1). :)

+BlackD

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#9]
sounds good, a lot siompler than I thought

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#10]
How do you multitexture the mesh?
also which order do you texture it with the reflection map and the normal diffuse texture?
and...
how do you control the transparency of the reflection map?