DirectX Problem

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/DirectX Problem

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#1]
This qustion may be kind of off topic, I hope you don't mind.

How can I downgrade (or deinstall) my current DirectX 9.0b ? THe reason why I want to do this is: I already had DX9 installed, but a few days ago I installed a DVD Drive (SAMSUNG Writemaster), when I installed its software package (Pinnacle DVD Suite), it told me it has to install DirectX 9.0b in order to work. Although I found it stupid since I already had DX9 installed, I agreed. Well since then my machine is totally instable. It crashes randomly. I already deinstalled the whole Pinnacle tragedy. But I still get random crashes. When I play Bitz3D-made Games, they crash sometimes, seems like it has something to do with PlaySound. I have to say that the tested Game never crashed this way before. The Game just exits and DirectX is then paralyzed until I reboot the machine.

So I'm afraid my current DirectX is messed up. Is there a way to deinstall DirectX, so I can then install the Version that is known to work well? (On Win98) This is my Development Machine. It really sucks.

BTW: I reccomend not to buy/install the mentioned components!

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#2]

Is there a way to deinstall DirectX

AFAIK, no.

Version that is known to work well? (On Win98)

Win98??? You're mad... how about getting a half-modern OS like Windows 2000 or XP?

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#3]
From what I have heard, uninstalling or replacing Direct X is a real b*gger.

Check M$ knowledgebase for details, I would -
or (at your own risk) try this...

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4347.html

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#4]
thanks. oh, sorry that was a mistake, it's WinME, not 98, although they are about the same. But hey, concerning security issues I really prefere Win98 over WinXP. And byside a few apps that require XP due to its oh so wanted severs Dr.-jekil-functionality, Win98 fits my needs perfectly. I work with WinXP a lot BTW. and I really don't like it.

Anyway, back onto topic. The tool you linked to is shareware, I have no credit card, so I can's buy it (darn 666 business plan is it).

Micosoft just released DX 9.0c, maybe that's better (I'm afraid it's even worse). But first I'll try to find other ways.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#5]
Right now it seems to me the DX9.0c Download they offer is only a Download-App that will virtually download and install the real DX9.0c Distro on the machine that starts the official Download Exe (only about 300kB). Hell! I want it on a machine that was isolated from the sick web for good reason. Additionally I've seen a lot of people asking for a downgrade from 9.0c to 9.0b - so it seems it isn't any better.

BTW: After crashing the Blitz App, the Task Manager tells me that there is something named Winmgmt ("A core component of client management. This process starts when the first client application connects, or when management applications request its services." hu?). I'm afraid I gonna have to use a system point restore that will kick me right back to the previous millenium :/

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#6]
back onto topic

You mean "back onto off-topic" :P

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#7]
kind of off topic, yes. But it still has to do with Blitz3D IMHO :P - at least for me.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#8]
this is unbelievable. now I realized the CPU Fan is not working. It may be a heat problem, or maybe the power supply is partially dead (or the cpu heat sensor that triggers the fan ). I still don't know if this is a result of a destructive software (poking around in the bios), or if it's all caused by a hardware defect. what a nightmare.

BTW I used this DX uninstaller:
http://www.geocities.com/clb92001/

It worked nicely, I was able to install th eolder DX version (9.0) but then dxhelp.exe was missing.

Sledge(Posted 2005) [#9]

I still don't know if this is a result of a destructive software

As far as DirectX goes, I've used 9.0b with WinME with no (more than the usual amount of) problems. That's no guarantee that it'll work for you, of course, but it suggests that investigating the hardware side of things might be worthwhile.

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#10]
Well... good luck. Isnt it annoying? Hope you can get it sorted.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#11]
thanks. I just thought it must be the DX thing because it crashed when DX Apps where running, like games. Now I think it is a heat problem. Games also force high performence and therefor produce more heat (never idle cpu). I hope it's pure coincedence that it happened right now when I installed DX9.0b and that pinnacle suite. I checked the CPU fan, it's definitely dead and so the extreme BSODs may have been caused by overheating. Good to see the cpu is still alive.

Now I got to buy a new fan, they cost almost 10% of a new PC :/

Anyway, I hope this will fix it, tho I ask myself what caused the fan to "melt down", as parts of the motors are kind of backed. And then I still got to restore that DDHELP.EXE somehow.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#12]
Ok, i think I got it fixed so far. There was that permanent sucker in the task list: "dxdllreg.exe". this thing caused tons of troubles, like I couldn't restart the system without to hang, even msconfig refused to close correctly etc. So I unchecked this beast in a final effort in the autorun settings using msconfig.exe.

Then I used to reboot and then started the DX Uninstaller i mentioned before again. I had to reboot, then I took goodol DX7 :), from the goodol Deus Ex 1 CD, installed. THen I used to run DXDIAG. THe first time it used to hang, so I had to kill it using the task manager. The 2nd time it worked perfectly, all tests successful. I have already played the game that crashed before, no more problems so far. Ok, you never know, but currently it looks like I have successfully downgraded from 9.0b to 7. Upgrading from 7 to 9.0a will be easy.

And yes, I insalled a new CPU fan. 42.5 swiss francs, ouch! that's about 38US$. I still got the feeling the local dealer fooled me :/ but what could I do? Anyway, 40$ isn't the world.

Thanks for your help.

Strider Centaur(Posted 2005) [#13]
Time to visit Guru3D and get to work. DirextX9.0b is fine and works well. However, you may need to update you video drivers, and if your going to do that then get Driver Cleaner and use that before installing the new drivers, trust me on this, it will make your life so much easier.

There are great tools Guru so you should visit there as often as possible.

And NO I have no connection to that site other than that of a fan. :)

Heres the URL:

http://guru3d.com/

cash(Posted 2005) [#14]
A while ago I deinstalled directX using a third party free app I found on the internet. It seemed to work and let me install an earlier version.

Best backup your system first though.

Do a search in google for directx uninstall. Dont blame me if it goes pear shaped though......

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#15]
Thanks cash, I already did it, using this: www.geocities.com/clb92001/

But basicly the reason why I had troubles was the defect CPU Fan. Well, I guess the power supply ruined it when it didn't work right after adding a DVD Drive that consumed too much energy. Using 2 CD/DVD Drives can cause serious heat/power probems with cheap and weak power supplies.

Anyway, it's good to see that it was possible at all to downgrade DX (contrairy to what MS says).