To many lights

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/To many lights

asdfasdf(Posted 2005) [#1]
I have a ship that I'm going to put lights on. There are going to be a lot of lights. I looked in the CreateLight docs and saw that it said that there can not be more than 8 lights per render. How could I make it have lights so that I don't use those 8 lights?

GfK(Posted 2005) [#2]
Find a lens-flare sprite, and use that instead of DX lights.

Something like this (you'll find a better one, but this gives you an idea of what i'm talking about - just put one of these where you want a 'light' to be):

DX lights are a bit crap anyway, tbh.

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#3]
Do lights used by parsing gile[s] count?

asdfasdf(Posted 2005) [#4]
Is gile[s] good? Should get it?

GfK(Posted 2005) [#5]
Is gile[s] good? Should get it?
Gile[s] generates lightmaps. It doesn't let you get around the maximum of 8 DirectX lights, if that's what you mean. Its a hardware limitation. You can sometimes get away with 16 depending on the graphics card but the Blitz docs specify that you should not rely on this being the case.

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#6]
Do lights used by parsing gile[s] count?

If by "parsing" you mean using a loader to load lights from a Lightmapped scene so that your non-lightmapped entities are lit with identical settings to match the lightmapped ones, then yes, of course they count. "Baked" lights, that are only used for lightmapping, don't count.

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#7]
Darn.

And gile[s] is good.

big10p(Posted 2005) [#8]
This talk of DX lights is redundant.

[Jedi mind trick]
These aren't the type of lights you're looking for, Blitz Programmer!
[/jedi mind trick]

Just use add-blended, textured quads/sprites like Gfk said.

Drey(Posted 2005) [#9]
Yea, u should use a texture trick. To try to gain the appearence of more lighting tho, u can head to the code achieves and look up the lighting effect. It's probably still at the top.