Brushes

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Brushes

Drey(Posted 2005) [#1]
Ok, just to save me alil time in testing and research. Could you help me fully realize what a brush actually is. I'm thinking it's more than a texture holder. Does it have it's own UVs you can plot or something? Isn't a brush adding a surface or something like that as well?

RifRaf(Posted 2005) [#2]
A brush holds a collection of data applied to a surface/entity, including the texture

Drey(Posted 2005) [#3]
What data exactly? I hear people use brushes for blending on terrain systems. I see u have a terrains system in you sig so u know some stuff about it. Can u help me out?

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#4]
What data exactly?

Use the B3d documentation and use the category section to find Brush.

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#5]
You'll maybe not even need to use a brush in the entire time you use blitz3d. Only time i have used it, is to GET a texture from a surface.

Drey(Posted 2005) [#6]
ok, so basicly, if u had multiple surfaces, then u'll have to use a brush. That's what i'm gettin out of it.

John Blackledge(Posted 2005) [#7]
Drey's confusion may come from the fact that some modelling progs create meshes by using 'brushes' (their term, bad term) which is not the same as a Blitz brush.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#8]
A brush can hold a lot of settings like multiple texture layers, color, alpha etc. It seems like Brushes are the "real texures" while Loadtexture and TextureEntity are dead end commands.

Example: if you want to save a Mesh with Textures (eg. the SaveB3D Example in the code archives), they need to use Brushes to allow to determine the used Texture Files etc.

An other example:
You can load a Mesh, check its brushes for a special Texture, and then replace this brush by an other brush that has a diffrent number of texture layers.