just interested in vividGL

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/just interested in vividGL

Kalisme(Posted 2005) [#1]
hi, I'm just interested in VividGL... it sounds pretty sweet... but I've only resd the advertisement, and I know advertisement is usually pretty biased... so if any people that have purchased VividGL could tell me what they think about it that would be very helpful :)
Eg. how does it handle animation?
does it take away anything from Blitz3d?
(makes commands unfunctionable)

above all: Is it worth it?
thanx 4 any help :)

Alienforce(Posted 2005) [#2]
Have you checked the BasicGL.. ?

Just to make you more confused :)

Should be glad for some inputs witch GL package to choose.

Alienforce

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#3]
Vivid is fast. The current version still has some stuff to be cleared up, but I expect that it will - antony is an exceptional programmer.
You may want to wait a little bit though, just in case. That all depends on your own personal preferance though.

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#4]
Wasn't there a BlitzGL made especially for Blitz?

Kalisme(Posted 2005) [#5]
yes, I'm aware of BlitzGl.... but I heard it had alot of problems with animated meshes and currently couldn't do animated b3d's... so I decided I should check out vividGL
Has anyone got both so that they can compare which is better? that would be interesting

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#6]
I think there are:
BlitzGL
VividGL
OpenGL
BasicGL??

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#7]
Yes, seriously, you should check out BasicGL - there are plenty of demos with source code so you can see how it is all donem including:

animated models with shadows, toon shading, shader blur effects, lensflares, mirrors, water planes with ripples, lights, normal and bump mapping and loads more.

Well worth it, and it is currently free.

IPete2.

NeuralizR(Posted 2005) [#8]
BasicGL is no longer free.

It is currently $29.99 and will be $49.99 at version 1.0.

They are also charging for the BlitzMax version already, for Windows only, when BlitzMax is not available to the public yet (for Windows, which as noted is the only platform that BasicGL works on) which just seems kind of odd to me. :x

Realistically, I'm just weary of people charging for a pre-1.0 product and wondering if the Blitz3D version is going to keep up to date with the obvious emphasis on BlitzMax on their site.

Also note that BasicGL was previously called BlitzGL (at least for Blitz3D), see their download section for more information.

Maybe the BasicGL author will see this post and elaborate. :D