Please HELP!! Outline,cellshading!

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Please HELP!! Outline,cellshading!

Alienforce(Posted 2005) [#1]
I really need H E L P!

i am working on a game that need to be "Cartoonized"

Questions.
1. How can i get my objects/meshes to be outlined ?
2. Best way to cellshade objects/meshes

Please help me !!

Best,

Alienforce

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#2]
For the cellshading look, you can, use the EntityFx command to make all the Entities flat shaded. Then, to get the black outline, you need to create a special texture and apply it using sphereical enviroment mapping, texture flag 64.

You'll get an idea what i mean with the texture. black circle, almost touching the sides of the texture map. Doesn't working very well with sharp edges tho. Looks really crap when used on a cube, so beware of that.

www.rosscrooks.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/celshaded.zip

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#3]
The thicker the black circle part, the bigger the black outline :o)

Dock(Posted 2005) [#4]
1. Create a copy of the object in the 3D package. 'Push' the object, which means scale all the vertices relative to their normals. Flip the normals of the object (ie make all the faces point inwards), and then apply a black texture to them. Re-attach the mesh to the original mesh.

2. Use a second texture layer, set as 'multiply' with the environment map flag. Use a texture that has the top-half white and the bottom half grey/black/blue or whatever you want the shadow to be. This, however, will always draw the lighting from one direction, so it might look odd if you rotate the camera often.

Best of luck :)

fall_x(Posted 2005) [#5]
'Push' the object, which means scale all the vertices relative to their normals.

If you're using Milkshape3D, try the Fatboy-plugin (which comes standard with milkshape). It gave me some pretty good results.

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#6]
For outlines you can do what those guys did in Aireal Antics game, look at their demo and you'll see. Make another mesh slightly bigger than the original one, flip its normals so that they are facing inwards, and colour that mesh black or whatever you want the outline to be. Very easy, looks awesome.

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#7]
The spherical map trick works well too.

ashmantle(Posted 2005) [#8]
I think blitz3d cel-shading looks like crap.. but maybe thats just me.

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#9]
Alienforce,

Check out the fab. BasicGL (OpenGL for Blitz ) - it can do cartoon shading with its eyes closed.

You'll find a demo of it here on the forums...

IPete2.

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#10]
I think blitz3d cel-shading looks like crap.. but maybe thats just me.

I think *all* cel-shading looks like crap, and maybe that's just me.

I remember Mearrin had a really, really nice looking cel-shading system going. I can't remember how he did it, but it was kinda Jet Set Radio style, I think it used a similar model. I'll have a search later and see if I have any code or screens or instructions or anything from it.

Alienforce(Posted 2005) [#11]
Thank guy´s,

For all your inputs it helped me alot!!!

BasicGL, was the easiest way.. Butit gave me some problem because then i cant use Particle Candy :(

I will soon post some screenshots..

Any more tips is more then welcome :)

Thanks,

Alienforce

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#12]
Alienforce, did you look at how Aireal Antics looks like?

Alienforce(Posted 2005) [#13]
Yes, i looked at it... Its just the way i want the graphic to be...

Alienfors