Blitz Max Questions on Max forums

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Blitz Max Questions on Max forums

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi.

I'm sure some of you will be aware how miffed I am at the crap way BR are handling the forums ATM.

and I hate the BlitzMax Q&A sticky, Its a complete waste of time as no one really reads it.

SO

Anyone NOT YET GOT blitz max bubt wants to ask a Blitz Max question on the Blitz Maxc forums, post it HERE.

Next time im on and see your reply I will then pop into the Max forums and Ask your question for you.

Hope this helps the people out who were like me and just wanted to ask questions to the people using the software right now.

ANSWERS - >>
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=42227

JoJo(Posted 2005) [#2]
Thanks for that!

1:) My question is; When a function is declared inside types, is that function Global? It looks some people use a function to instantiate more types.

2:) And by using functions this way, is it similar to constructors?

JoJo(Posted 2005) [#3]
1:) When do variables loose their scope?
If I declare a variable inside an if...endif block, is scope lost when it exits?

2:) What about in methods and functions declared inside types?
As I look over some examples, I assume when you delcare a variable using the Local keyword then it should be local to that block of code.

3:) And also when you're accessing members, member functions and etc; is there some type of intellisense that comes up?

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2005) [#4]
I think I can answer some of that.

It is and it isnt global, you cant just call the function on its own from anywhere in your code, but you can if you do it through the type.

mytype.runmyfunction() would work global
runmyfunction() would not work. as I read it anyway i might be wrong.

I think var's only lose scope when they leave the function they are declaired in but im not sure myself. so Ill pop that onto the max forums for ya..

You will be able to view the thread I create over there so I will add a link in this thread to the question in max forums so you can find it easy. and with luck get your answer.

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#5]
The following will run fine, so a function in a type declaration will work fine even if there are no instances of that type.

Type TestType
Method testf()
Global d = Rand(1,10)
Print d
End Method
Function globTest()
Print "this is a test of global functions within types"
End Function
End Type

TestType.globTest()

myType:TestType = New TestType
myType.testf()