Longest line of code in an actual program

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Longest line of code in an actual program

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#1]
I think this is a new record:
									Case COLLISIONOBJECTGADGETPOSITIONX,COLLISIONOBJECTGADGETPOSITIONY,COLLISIONOBJECTGADGETPOSITIONZ,COLLISIONOBJECTGADGETROTATIONX,COLLISIONOBJECTGADGETROTATIONY,COLLISIONOBJECTGADGETROTATIONZ,COLLISIONOBJECTGADGETSCALEX,COLLISIONOBJECTGADGETSCALEY,COLLISIONOBJECTGADGETSCALEZ

And my longest variable name:
STATICMESHREFERENCE_SUBOBJECT_VBO_TEXCOORDSARRAY

Longest function declaration:
Function SplitTriangle(surfa,surfb,Ax#,Ay#,Az#,Bx#,By#,Bz#,Cx#,Cy#,Cz#,nx#,ny#,nz#,d#,lista=0,listb=0) 

Erroneouss(Posted 2004) [#2]
The REAL longest function declaration:
Function CreateTree(Wiggle_Flag=2,Branches_On_End_Flag=2,Leaf_Type=-1,Leaf_Mesh=100,Number_Of_Large_Branches=5,Number_Of_Medium_Branches=3,Number_Of_Small_Branches=7,Large_Branch_Minimum_Angle#=20,Medium_Branch_Minimum_Angle#=20,Small_Branch_Minimum_Angle#=20,Large_Branch_Maximum_Angle#=40,Medium_Branch_Maximum_Angle#=40,Small_Branch_Maximum_Angle#=40,Tree_Trunk_Size#=9,Large_Branch_Size_Min#=2,Medium_Branch_Size_Min#=2,Small_Branch_Size_Min#=2,Large_Branch_Size_Max#=4,Medium_Branch_Size_Max#=3,Small_Branch_Size_Max#=4,Trunk_seg=15,LBranch_seg=4,MBranch_seg=4,SBranch_seg=4,Trunk_Big_Dia#=1,Trunk_Small_Dia#=.8,LBranch_Big_Dia#=.6,LBranch_Small_Dia#=.4,MBranch_Big_Dia#=.3,MBranch_Small_Dia#=.2,SBranch_Big_Dia#=.1,SBranch_Small_Dia#=.05)

http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=110

SurreaL(Posted 2004) [#3]
..damn.

talk about giving the stack a run for it's money!

Clarks(Posted 2004) [#4]
the duck

i agree.

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#5]
I found that once I started writing really big apps, I had to use long-ass variable names because I kept running out of things to call stuff.

GfK(Posted 2004) [#6]
This is what happens when you use stupidly long variable names.

COLLISIONOBJECTGADGETPOSITIONY, for instance, could easily be shortened by more than half, to colObjGadPosY.

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#7]
actually,

The verbose label COLLISIONOBJECTGADGETPOSITIONY is very descriptive. I love descriptive labels and the cut & paste shortcuts (ctrl-c, ctrl-v) work wonders.

Warren(Posted 2004) [#8]
At least make it readable:

CollisionObjectGadgetPositionY

CAPSLOCK is the enemy to code readability.

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#9]
At least make it readable:

CollisionObjectGadgetPositionY
True

TomToad(Posted 2004) [#10]
ThisIsTheYPositionOfWhereTheObjectCalledGadgetCollidedWithAnotherObject()

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#11]
Its my code, and I rule all.

Ezbe(Posted 2004) [#12]
If S(Tyyppi%)\MinLevel > Level Or S(Tyyppi%)\MinStr > Strength Or S(Tyyppi%)\MinDex > Dexterity Or S(Tyyppi%)\MinVit > Vitality Or S(Tyyppi%)\MinInt > Intelligence Or S(Tyyppi%)\MinWis > Wisdom Or S(Tyyppi%)\MinCha > Charisma Or S(Tyyppi%)\MinLuck > Luck Or (S(Tyyppi%)\Ihmiset = False And Rotu = 2) Or (S(Tyyppi%)\Orkit = False And Rotu = 3) Or (S(Tyyppi%)\Keijut = False And Rotu = 4) Then Return False

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#13]
My God.

GfK(Posted 2004) [#14]
Its my code, and I rule all.
No.

danjo(Posted 2004) [#15]
i think long variable names are very useful. i always cut and paste code anyway.. i hate it when i write view on half the lines and veiw on another 50 !!! - i know you can just use replace, but its annoying.

Erroneouss(Posted 2004) [#16]
I always use descriptive variable names.
Even in For...Next loops, where everyone uses 'i'
or something like that. I always have a nice
descriptive variable for that. Its easier to cut
and paste variables and know what they mean, instead of
undescriptive variables.

Also, my style is nothing in the main loop, except
function calls... Makes it more neat. Actually, it also
speeds it up a lot too. That's a tip kids, only
use 'gosub' and function calls in your main loop. I had a
5 FPS increase when running it in my first person shooter
with only gosub and function calls in my main loop.

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#17]
Also, my style is nothing in the main loop, except
function calls... Makes it more neat. Actually, it also
speeds it up a lot too. That's a tip kids, only
use 'gosub' and function calls in your main loop. I had a
5 FPS increase when running it with only gosub and
function calls in my main loop.
I find that hard to believe. Adding function calls will only decrease performance (albeit a negligible amount, but will decrease it nonetheless).

Erroneouss(Posted 2005) [#18]
Really? I had it increase 5 frames per second in a game I made a while back, a 3D FPS (not frames per sec).

It makes it a lot less sloppy so its a lot more readable. I also used gosubs which in some cases was better than the functions because of the scope and the speed is faster in some of it in a gosub than a function. But it was a great improvment.

JoshK(Posted 2005) [#19]
Oh, so your slowest step in the program is a little process that takes 0.001 milliseconds? If not, use all the functions you want, because it doesn't matter. Pointing out that functions slow the program down is like saying "this paper clip in my pocket will decrease my car's fuel efficiency, even if it's just a little bit".

Erroneouss(Posted 2005) [#20]
I don't know why, but my FPS increased 5 FPS when adding
it all in functions and gosub, so I kept it! :P And,
its a lot easier to read.

JoshK(Posted 2005) [#21]
COLLISIONOBJECTGADGETJOINTCOLLISIONOBJECT1LISTBOX

This is a gadget in the collision editor window, which indicates which rigid body to use for a joint.

Drey(Posted 2005) [#22]
Yea, u should probably capitalize the beginning of a new word. Even have a prefix could help you every now and then.
i = integer
bk = bank
f = float
s = string
e = entity

bkCollisionObjectGadgetJointCollisionObject1ListBox

U could also create prefixes for your own speical cases. lisB = list box
ColObj.

Pretty much like someone said eariler.

sswift(Posted 2005) [#23]
Mesh = FOLIAGE_CreateFlower(Flower\Sides[LOD], Flower\Radius#, Flower\Height#, Flower\Texture_Front_U0#, Flower\Texture_Front_V0#, Flower\Texture_Front_U1#, Flower\Texture_Front_V1#, True, Flower\Texture_Back_UOffset#, Flower\Texture_Back_UOffset#)

That's my best I think...

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#24]
I rules you's all! My code will crush you!

JoshK(Posted 2005) [#25]
Why, am I going to forget that 99% of my globals are integers? You're an idiot.

Conan(Posted 2005) [#26]
Beat this variable!!:

IfStatementConditionInsertedInFor...NextLoopInsideMainLoopWithFunctionCallOfThreeParametersOfBooleanReturn$

Yeouch!

might think of changing it to: IfCondInsForNextMainFuncCall3ParamBool$, but it still beats all!