Feature Request (oh no!)

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Feature Request (oh no!)

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#1]
Oh no, Picklesworth is at it again. This one is actually reasonable seeming though. But I always say that, so you may not believe me.
I want to be able to set default type field values. This way, I wouldn't have to set up variables on them that are always the same at the start every time I create them.
For instance:
Type myType
field Param1=true
field Param2=52
End Type

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#2]
You could create a function to set the type fields, and call it everytime a new type is created. :o)

big10p(Posted 2004) [#3]
This feature would actually be useful, Mr. Picklesworth, and has actually been requested before. Interestingly, you can specify default field values - as in your example - and it'll compile fine. It just won't actually do anything! :/

BlackD(Posted 2004) [#4]
Yeah, that would be a great help. :) Setting the default values every time a new type is created of course is the current method, but doesn't make for very clean code. /me adds a "Hear hear!"

+BlackD

gosse(Posted 2004) [#5]
not very Clean? It's cleaner in my opinion.

Type MyType 
    Field Param1
    Field Param2
End Type

Function MyType_Constructor.MyType()
    Local MyTypeReturn.MyType = New MyType
	MyTypeReturn\Param1 = True
	MyTypeReturn\Param2 = 52
	Return MyTypeReturn
End Function

Local test.MyType = MyType_Constructor()
Print test\Param1
Print test\Param2

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#6]
You could create a function to set the type fields, and call it everytime a new type is created. :o)

Brilliant. I better he NEVER would have thought of that. Not in a MILLION YEARS.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2004) [#7]
Halo's at it again! ;)

Drey(Posted 2004) [#8]
Haha, well, creating functions for those types would be even more effective. To have those functions call off the Variable itself.

Instead of

MyType.CusType = CusType_Create('argu')
CusType_DoStuff(MyType, 'argu')

i Would like

MyType = New CusType('argu')
MyType.DoStuff('argu')

And it have an interal constructor that u can code into and fucntions u can code directly under the type.

Also, though i figured ways around it, but say u have a varible that all your types use. It'll be nice if u wouldn't have to know the exact object type to create the object and get the value.

So u can jsut busted

Things = New CusType
Stuff = New AnotherType

Function DoStuff( This'Any Type', That'Any Type))

This.GenericVar =  That.GenericFunction( This.GenericVar ) 

End Fucntion

DoStuff(Things, Stuff)

I wish they had pointers and function pointers in blitz3d. haha, heck, i wish alot of stuff from C++ was in blitz3d. like ++ and --, **, all that sweetness. That's about it tho. The rest of C++ is a mess. haha.

Clarks(Posted 2004) [#9]
also other things like "+=" "-=" "/=" and a couple others.
agreed.