Mac users,

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Mac users,

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hay all you mac users.

As I dont have a mac and wont be getting one, I guess I am in the same position as a few other people around here in that I will be wanting to tap into the mac shareware market..

so i'm looking for some mac guys that woudl be willing to compile stuff to mac for us.

if your interested send me an e-mail ta.

Uber Lieutenant(Posted 2004) [#2]
You know, if you buy BlitzMax, you have access to the Windows betas. You do know that, right?

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2004) [#3]
If you can't afford to drop $1000 (or less) on a Mac, what kind of shareware sales are you expecting?

Strider Centaur(Posted 2004) [#4]
$1000 or less, my positronic pants filler.

Macs start at about $800 for a piece of doo doo and go up faster than a russian heavy lifter rocket from there.

For the same money I can get twice the computer storage, nearly the same speed system and far better graphics on a PC.

:(

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#5]
Yeah I wont be buying a mac.

But I am looking for some one to compile stuff to the mac so like I said I can tap into that shareware market.

Anyone with a Mac only, I would be willing to return the favour and compile your stuff to PC if needed.

and Im a student, I dont have the money to just shell out on a new Mac even less when you consider I'm having to upgrade my PC.

RGR(Posted 2004) [#6]
;--

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#7]
It might be more sensible to approach some of the BMax forum members in email, if only because your target market is BlitzMax owners with a Mac and who don't have Windows ( in order for cross-compilation to be worth anything to them. ) Therefore, we're talking almost exclusively people who didn't have a previous version of Blitz and can't reply here.

You might want to consider a proper partnership with one of them if you're serious about Mac sales, as I know I wouldn't buy a Mac game from someone who didn't own a mac or offer full time support from someone who did.

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2004) [#8]
and Im a student, I dont have the money to just shell out on a new Mac even less when you consider I'm having to upgrade my PC.

If your game isn't selling enough to buy you a Mac, why bother!? I can understand that the initial investment might be high for a student (I am one!), but even so.

ashmantle(Posted 2004) [#9]
He wants to SELL his game to Mac users, not become a Mac user.. surely you can see the difference?

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#10]
He wants to SELL his game to Mac users, not become a Mac user.. surely you can see the difference?

Very good point actually. It's more than the cost of a Mac, it's devoting enough time to learning it so that you can properly deal with support issues. If someone emails me with an obscure comment like "If I do the thing where the thing bounces, it stops working and my internet stops." I have a fair idea what they might be talking about and I can deal with it. In order to be that conversant with Mac support issues, it would take a considerable amount of time.

ashmantle(Posted 2004) [#11]
Equally good point, but you also know that simply owning a Mac won't make you an expert on the errors that will occur on it..

for that you need google and a forum where you can talk to people who deal with the same thing.. like these forums here..

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#12]
First of all I dont really like Mac's, If I did I would have one instead of a PC.

Second, I dont want to buy a Mac like some one said above, however I do want to take advantage of their market.

Third, I would post in the max forums if I had access to them. DUH!.

Fourth, OFC I would be better posting to the Mac only users on the Max forums, but as I cant at the moment, this is the best / only other place to post it.

TBH I was expecting to see a few more people in the same position, IE with stuff they would like compiled to other platforms at some point.

I guess I'm either alon in this or the only one not willing to buy a computer just to compile some code.

JaviCervera(Posted 2004) [#13]
Of course, and the answer he got is "if you want to compile for Mac, you should buy a Mac". The Mac users here are a vast minority. We simply cannot spend our time compiling the BMX projects of the PC users (the great majority).

If you want to get into the Mac market, and make money from it, you have to get a Mac. Simple as that.

If you don't have money to buy a Mac, release for PC first, and once you get enough money to buy the Mac, get it and release the game for this platform. If you didn't get enough money in the PC market, why bother making a Mac version?

If the game is free, I wouldn't mind compiling his game for him.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#14]
Jedive you missed my point I think.

either that or I didnt make myself clear.

I'm offering a trade of services, ie I am willing to compile a Mac users stuff to PC in exchange for them compilin ma stuff to Mac.

And I might take you up on that Free compile to Mac offer, I have a few free projects just now that will be getting ported over to max as soon as I get my hands on a copy of it.