See an object trough the terrain?

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/See an object trough the terrain?

fall_x(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi,

I was wondering if it was possible to have an entity that I can see trough my terrain? I don't want to change the terrain's blending mode because it should only do this with one entity. Changing the entity's order doesn't work either, because that way it's also on top of other entities.
(It's some kind of aiming thing - the transparant object from my other topic :) - that turns around the player but should not be clipped by the terrain...

Thanks.

_PJ_(Posted 2004) [#2]
Change the EntityOrder of all objects so as the object in question is the ONLY one not clipped by Terrain. Or, use some form of LinePick and render it separately if behind terrain perhaps?

Strider Centaur(Posted 2004) [#3]
Changing the entities order will do what you want, but you will need to make sure to position it as the last thing you do before render or at least the last object before render. In this way Terrain and other objects should work as normal and this object will appear on top of everything else. If you want it to appear after somethings and before others you will have to handle the way all objects up to it are rendered manually ( that is set entity order and then postition them all before render in the order you want them rendered. )

At least this is how I would do it. Now, one important point, Im not 100% sure how the entities rendering works, It seems to work as above, but then that may not be any gaurantee, if it works in the order they are created, then the above probably wont do what you want reliably.