Terrains... grrr...

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/Terrains... grrr...

Baystep Productions(Posted 2004) [#1]
You know what I hate! Of cource you don't. Any way, Terrains! Their a great entity! But not a mesh... If get what I'm getting at. Is their any codes to create a terrain that can be used as a mesh? Vertices and all? This might be old news, but I haven't seen any that can import heightmaps. Any ideas.

Drey(Posted 2004) [#2]
go to the code arcives and look at meshs. There's a few there. U can build our own too. It's really easy.

RGR(Posted 2004) [#3]
;-

Baystep Productions(Posted 2004) [#4]
Sorry but, that helps me how? I understand, but I'M LAZY! Mybe algorithm section.

SabataRH(Posted 2004) [#5]
well if you are really lazy then i suggest ALE Terrain creator from Skitchy.. It does a nice job with little effort and it imports highetmaps as well.... exports out solid mesh.

a terrain from ale:

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#6]
Or even look at FLE - the free landscape editor. Search the toolbox too.

Baystep Productions(Posted 2004) [#7]
Now thats what I'm talking about. But I don't like Alien Codec much, to much trouble for little tools.

Ion-Storm(Posted 2004) [#8]
THE problem with 99% of terrains IVe used and seen is that u CAN fall off the end of the world. Ive only seen 1 terrain engine that can wrap the terrain round and appear to be on a infinate terrain.

Eric(Posted 2004) [#9]
Yeah, I am working on a Lunar Lander Game, And I wish I could make a never ending terrain, kinda like I was orbiting the planet.

_PJ_(Posted 2004) [#10]

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#11]
Byside the fact that a Mesh does not use LOD and therefor eats more 3d Power, I'd say use FLE. It's simple, free and creates very nice terrains.

fall_x(Posted 2004) [#12]
you could probably make a system where you have 9 terrains loaded, you are in the middle one, and when you move and enter another terrain, switch the terrains so that the new one you are on is in the middle again, and load some new ones... (ie if you move to the terrain on the left, switch it right and reload the left 3 terrains).

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#13]
Doesn't blitz's own terrain system do this? I think it was demonstrated in the XFighter demo (in Blitz3D\samples\mak\xfighter)

Ion-Storm(Posted 2004) [#14]
Tile meshes are the way to go.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#15]
Mr. Picklesworth - yes, there is a native Terrain Command, but it has some drawbacks. limited texturing options, popping behaviour, no access to vertices etc.

fall_x - yes, the 3*3 Tiles idea is good. But keep in mind, your player should remain in the area -32000 to 32000 (forall, x,y and z), because if you don't you'll get Z-Buffer inaccuracies: rounding errors, really ugly lookin gstuff. You can try this, make a ship and fly to location 100'000 or something, with a camera. You'll see what I mean. So maybe you need to reposition the scene at 0,0,0 if the player reaches a new 3*3 zone.

LitoByte wrote a wrapped Terrain System some time ago, BTW.

fall_x(Posted 2004) [#16]
Yup, I would also reposition them...
The only problem I see with this solution would be that you might see some seams between the terrains. Back when I was experimenting with Truevision3D I fixed this by changing the terrain heights at the borders so the terrains fitted together properly, but I don't know if you can do that with Blitz.
Maybe there won't be any seams if you make sure the heightmaps are properly aligned.

_PJ_(Posted 2004) [#17]

you could probably make a system where you have 9 terrains loaded, you are in the middle one, and when you move and enter another terrain, switch the terrains so that the new one you are on is in the middle again, and load some new ones... (ie if you move to the terrain on the left, switch it right and reload the left 3 terrains).

That's what I said, fall_x. check the link!

(

The idea is to have a 3x3 grid of identical terrains so that even though the view appears to be wrap-around, the camera will actually shift to the opposite end each time it reaches the boundaries of the central (original) terrain. So the player can traverse what appears to be a planet's surface infinitely in any direction.
)

fall_x(Posted 2004) [#18]
I didn't notice that it was a link :)

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#19]
I got Bryce 4 for $15! You know what - it REALLY does the job.