setting volume of a sound

Blitz3D Forums/Blitz3D Programming/setting volume of a sound

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#1]
whats the best way to set different volume levels for different sounds?

At the moment I am doing this:
channel=EmitSound (ship_explode_sound,s\ship_handle)
ChannelVolume channel,0.7

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#2]
channel=EmitSound (ship_explode_sound,s\ship_handle)
ChannelVolume channel,0.7
channel2=EmitSound (ship_explode_sound,s\ship_handle)
ChannelVolume channel2,0.9
channel3=EmitSound (ship_explode_sound,s\ship_handle)
ChannelVolume channel3,0.5

Is that what you meant? Or what do you mean by 'best way'?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#3]
if you want to set them permanently (so the volume for the samples are fixed at a specific value) you probably need to use a wrapped EmitSound function that uses a type to store the volume value and more.

So you would create a Type that contains every parameter of a sound. then when you load it, you'd set the values to default values, eg. 1.0 for the volume.

THen you'd need to use a command like

SetVolume sample,volume#

and when you call your MyEmitSound command the next time, it would emit the sound and also set the volume to that value you just defined with the SetVolume function call.

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#4]
is it ok for each sound effect to have its own channel or does that slow things down?

Is it Ok to set the volume after the sound effect has been emitted?

doctorskully(Posted 2004) [#5]
As far as I know, every time you have a sound effect it automatically creates another channel. When you do this:

channel_variable=EmitSound(sound_variable)

Channel_variable is just the variable that the channel handle is. By doing this:

channel_variable=EmitSound(other_sound_variable)

Channel_variable changes; the sound isn't now replacing your first sound's channel. All that Channel_variable is is just the way of using other sound commands with the channel. Just this:

EmitSound(yet_another_sound_variable)

Will still emit a sound with another channel.
As for your second question, I see no problem whatsoever with changing your ChannelVolume. So far I've not encountered any problems with this.

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#6]
ok thanks I was doing that but sometimes a sound effect will be quiet even when I am close to the source, -but not often